Capitol Site

Dublin Core

Title

Capitol Site

Subject

Capitol (Williamsburg, Va.)
Block 08. Building 11.
Streets - Virginia - Williamsburg
Monuments & memorials - Virginia - Williamsburg

Description

View looking west down Duke of Gloucester Street from the site of the Capitol, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1905.
The Association for the Preservation of Virginia Antiquities (APVA) acquired the site of Williamsburg’s colonial Capitol building in 1897 as a donation from the Old Dominion Land Company. They removed remnants of the Williamsburg Female Academy which stood on the site from 1849-1861. Archaeological excavations uncovered the original foundations of the Capitol. The APVA capped the foundations with cement to provide a layer of protection.

A memorial erected in the middle of the excavated foundations in 1904 commemorated members of the House of Burgesses who formed associations against the importation or purchase of British goods. This tablet still exists and was moved to the yard surrounding the reconstructed Capitol building.

Creator

Hodges, Q. Wilson

Date

Circa 1905

Is Part Of

Q. Wilson Hodges Photograph Collection, AV2020.1,1.

Format

jpeg

Type

Image

Identifier

Hodges-001

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Albumen photograph mounted on board

Physical Dimensions

4.5 x 5.5 inches

Citation

Hodges, Q. Wilson, “Capitol Site,” John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, accessed December 4, 2021, https://rocklib.omeka.net/items/show/3375.