Ayscough Shop, Exterior Detail

Dublin Core

Title

Ayscough Shop, Exterior Detail

Subject

Ayscough Shop (Williamsburg, Va.)
Block 08. Building 05.
Historic buildings - Virginia - Williamsburg
Stores, Retail - Virginia - Williamsburg

Description

Entrance of the Ayscough Shop in 1935, when it housed the Forge and Wheel, a retail establishment. As noted on the sign, the shop sold decorative ironwork, pottery, and other items.

Christopher Ayscough, the namesake of the shop, tried operating a tavern on the site between 1768-1770. Other shopkeepers, including Catherine Rathell, Matthew Holt, and Jacob Bruce, briefly occupied the store and sold various goods to townspeople.

The structure survived from the eighteenth century, although it was hardly recognizable due to the enlargements and modifications made in the nineteenth century. Once restored to its eighteenth-century appearance, the building exhibited such features typical of a commercial establishment as a gable end entrance and large shop window.

Creator

Lincoln, F.S.

Date

1935

Date Created

1935

Rights

This material is protected by copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code). For reproduction queries: Rights and reproductions

Format

jpeg

Type

Image

Identifier

LC356P3

Rights Holder

Special Collections, John D. Rockefeller, Jr. Library, The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Gelatin or collodian printing out paper with platinum toning, mounted on board

Physical Dimensions

8x10 inches

Citation

Lincoln, F.S., “Ayscough Shop, Exterior Detail,” John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, accessed December 3, 2021, https://rocklib.omeka.net/items/show/342.