Exterior of the Bracken Tenement (formerly known as the Montague House), view of the east façade, 1928. “The Reverend Mr. John Bracken, who had extensive real estate holdings along Francis Street, owned the…Bracken Tenement...and the Bracken Kitchen. … Bracken’s rise to social and financial prominence began in 1776 with his marriage to Sally Burwell of Carter’s Grove plantation. He was the rector of Bruton Parish Church for forty-five years, mayor of Williamsburg in 1796, and president of the College of William and Mary from 1812 to 1814. … The one-and-a-half-story Bracken Tenement has a steep A-shaped gable roof and massive T-shaped chimneys, each characteristic of early eighteenth-century architecture in Virginia.”
(Source: Michael Olmert and Suzanne Coffman, Official Guide to Colonial Williamsburg [Williamsburg, VA: The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, 2007], 132-133).