Governor's Palace North Facade Through Clairvoyee

Dublin Core

Title

Governor's Palace North Facade Through Clairvoyee

Subject

Governor's Palace (Williamsburg, Va.)
Block 20. Building 03.
Historic buildings - Virginia - Williamsburg
Public buildings - Virginia - Williamsburg
Gardens - Virginia - Williamsburg
Architecture, Colonial - Virginia - Williamsburg

Description

Exterior view of the Governor's Palace Ballroom Wing and formal gardens, north facade, as seen through an elaborate clairvoyée (wrought-iron gate) behind the Palace, 1933. The Ballroom Wing of the Palace, featured in the background, was built as an addition during the 1750s by Governor Robert Dinwiddie. Above its rear doors, a painted carving of the royal coat of arms is mounted within a pedimented gable. The Palace's gardens, designed by Arthur Shurcliff, include boxwood parterres and one dozen large cylindrical shrubs known as the Twelve Apostles, a feature which often appeared in eighteenth-century English gardens.

Creator

Shaw, Thomas Mott

Date

1933

Date Created

1933

Rights

This material is protected by copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code). For reproduction queries: Rights and reproductions

Format

jpeg

Type

Image

Identifier

D2008-COPY-1014-1033

Rights Holder

Special Collections, John D. Rockefeller, Jr. Library, The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Graphite on paper

Physical Dimensions

32.5 x 47 cm

Citation

Shaw, Thomas Mott, “Governor's Palace North Facade Through Clairvoyee,” John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, accessed December 3, 2021, https://rocklib.omeka.net/items/show/399.