Ludwell-Paradise Stable

Dublin Core

Title

Ludwell-Paradise Stable

Subject

Ludwell-Paradise House (Williamsburg, Va.)
Block 18-1. Building 07.
Architecture, Domestic - Virginia - Williamsburg
Architecture, Colonial - Virginia - Williamsburg
Historic buildings - Virginia - Williamsburg
Outbuildings - Virginia - Williamsburg

Description

Exterior of the Ludwell-Paradise Stable, viewed from Nicholson Street, 1933. A dovecote is visible in the gable-end roof of the stable, with holes for pigeons to roost in (though the holes have recently been covered over). The Cooper's Shop is now located in the Ludwell-Paradise Stable, where hogsheads, barrels, casks, buckets, and pails of all sizes are constructed.

The Ludwell-Paradise Stable is behind the Ludwell-Paradise House (not pictured here), one of the eighty-eight original eighteenth-century buildings at Colonial Williamsburg. The Ludwell-Paradise house played an important role in the museum's founding, as it was the first property purchased by John D. Rockefeller, Jr. in the early days of Williamsburg's restoration. Members of the Ludwell family resided here in the eighteenth century, and Lucy Ludwell Paradise, one of their more eccentric offspring, became a well-known socialite in both London and Virginia. She also became a namesake for this home that is a cornerstone of Williamsburg's restoration.

Creator

Shaw, Thomas Mott

Date

1933

Date Created

1933

Rights

This material is protected by copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code). For reproduction queries: Rights and reproductions

Format

jpeg

Type

Image

Identifier

D2008-COPY-1014-1042

Rights Holder

Special Collections, John D. Rockefeller, Jr. Library, The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Graphite on paper

Physical Dimensions

31 x 45 cm

Citation

Shaw, Thomas Mott, “Ludwell-Paradise Stable,” John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, accessed December 3, 2021, https://rocklib.omeka.net/items/show/404.