St. George Tucker House, South Facade

Title

St. George Tucker House, South Facade

Subject

St. George Tucker House (Williamsburg, Va.)
Block 29. Building 2.
Historic buildings - Virginia - Williamsburg
Architecture, Domestic - Virginia - Williamsburg
Architecture, Colonial - Virginia - Williamsburg

Description

Exterior of the St. George Tucker House, viewed from behind the fence of the Roscow-Cole Stable yard across Nicholson Street, 1933. This view of the St. George Tucker property shows the front elevation of one of the Historic Area's original eighteenth-century houses, when it was still occupied by descendants of the original builder. St. George Tucker, a law professor at the College of William and Mary, purchased and moved the central portion of the house from Palace Green to Market Square in 1788. He added wings to enlarge the size, and a 1798 paint agreement specifies the color scheme used on the house. Later additions and outbuildings have since been removed, with new modifications made.

At the time this sketch was made, Tucker family descendants still lived in the home, as they were granted life tenancy after its restoration. The building now serves as a donor hospitality center.

Creator

Shaw, Thomas Mott

Date

1933

Date Created

1933

Rights

This material is protected by copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code). For reproduction queries: Rights and reproductions

Format

jpeg

Type

Image

Identifier

D2008-COPY-1014-1059

Rights Holder

Special Collections, John D. Rockefeller, Jr. Library, The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation

Original Format

Graphite on paper

Physical Dimensions

47 x 33.5 cm

Files

D2008-COPY-1014-1059.jpg

Citation

Shaw, Thomas Mott, “St. George Tucker House, South Facade,” John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, accessed October 18, 2019, https://rocklib.omeka.net/items/show/412.