Powder Magazine

Dublin Core

Title

Powder Magazine

Subject

Block 12. Building 09.
Powder Magazine (Williamsburg, Va.)
Armories - Virginia - Williamsburg

Description

Pre-restoration view of the Powder Magazine after its first restoration by the APVA, Duke of Gloucester Street, Williamsburg, Virginia.

The octagonal Powder Magazine is an original eighteenth-century structure and has taken on many different functions over time. Constructed in 1715 under the orders of Governor Spotswood, the Magazine first served as a secure storage site for arms, ammunition, and military equipment. It reprised this role during the Civil War, when Confederate soldiers again stored gunpowder inside. In the late nineteenth century, town residents re-purposed the building for use as a Baptist meetinghouse, dancing school, market, and stable. Efforts by the A.P.V.A. to protect the historic structure led to its preservation as an early tourist attraction in Williamsburg prior to the birth of Colonial Williamsburg.

Creator

Dementi, Frank

Is Part Of

Frank Dementi Photograph Collection

Format

jpeg

Type

image

Identifier

1965-D-1550

Rights Holder

Special Collections, John D. Rockefeller, Jr. Library, The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Gelatin silver print

Physical Dimensions

8 x 10 inches

Citation

Dementi, Frank, “Powder Magazine,” John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, accessed October 19, 2021, https://rocklib.omeka.net/items/show/4240.