Block 27. Building 02.
Public Gaol (Williamsburg, Va.)
Public buildings - Virginia - Williamsburg
Historic buildings - Virginia - Williamsburg
Pre-restoration view of the exterior of the Public Gaol, Nicholson Street, Williamsburg, Virginia. Despite its grim role, the northern section of the colony’s Public Gaol survived into the twentieth-century. Built between 1701 and 1705, it served as a secure place to hold individuals awaiting trial at the nearby Capitol building, as well as debtors, occasional pirates, runaway slaves, and the mentally ill. The City of Williamsburg continued to use the building as a jail until 1910. By the time this photo was taken, the structure had fallen into disrepair. Only a small portion of the complex remained standing
Bullock, Orin Miles Jr.
Is Part Of
Orin Miles Bullock Jr. Photograph Collection, AV2010.2, Box 1
Special Collections, John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation
Still Image Item Type Metadata
Gelatin silver print
5 x 7 inches
Bullock, Orin Miles Jr., “Public Gaol,” John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, accessed September 18, 2021, https://rocklib.omeka.net/items/show/4447.