Tazewell Hall

Dublin Core


Tazewell Hall


Architecture, Domestic - Virginia - Williamsburg
Historic buildings - Virginia - Williamsburg


Front elevation of Tazewell Hall, Williamsburg, Virginia. Tazewell Hall had a prominent presence in 18th-century Williamsburg. With its location at the end of South England street, it sat at the end of an axis running from the busy Market Square area. Only three other buildings in 18th-century Williamsburg, the Wren, the Capitol, and the Palace, had long axial approaches. The central portion was originally only one story high with a dramatic two story entrance hall. Hyphens connected the main section to the two story east and west wings. During the 19th-century, the central portion was enlarged to two stories as seen in this photo.

Being outside Williamsburg’s restored area, Tazewell Hall did not make the roster of structures slated for preservation as part of Colonial Williamsburg. Planners made the decision to sell the dwelling in order to allow for expansion of the Williamsburg Lodge. Lewis A. McMurran, Jr. bought the home in the 1950s, dismantled it, and reconstructed it according to its 18th-century appearance on a lot overlooking the James River in Newport News.


Bullock, Orin Miles Jr.


Circa 1920

Is Part Of

Orin Miles Bullock Jr. Photograph Collection, AV2010.2, Box 1




1 photograph





Rights Holder

Special Collections, John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Gelatin silver print

Physical Dimensions

5 x7 inches


Bullock, Orin Miles Jr., “Tazewell Hall,” John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, accessed May 17, 2022, https://rocklib.omeka.net/items/show/4448.