Bruton Parish Church

Dublin Core


Bruton Parish Church


Bruton Parish Church (Williamsburg, Va.)
Albumen prints
Centennial Photographic Company
Block 21. Building 01.
Church architecture - Virginia - Williamsburg


Since 1715, Bruton Parish Church has served continuously as a house of worship for the Williamsburg community. Like many other public buildings in the town, the church became a makeshift hospital during the Civil War. The sanctuary housed injured soldiers after the Battle of Williamsburg in 1862. Many Confederate soldiers lie in unmarked graves in the surrounding cemetery.

Various 19th-century modifications are documented in this photograph. One of three chimneys along the roof ridge is visible on the right. Added in 1840, when the altar was moved to the west end and a new entrance cut into the east fa├žade, the chimneys provided ventilation for three large stoves used to heat the interior. A clock face is mounted on the steeple and almost obscures the small window in the octagonal section of the tower. Shutters cover the round-headed windows. Ivy climbs the east wall and thickly curtains the brick.

Fortunately, the overall exterior appearance of the church remained intact into the twentieth-century. During his first period as rector of Bruton Parish Church from 1903-1907, Dr. W.A.R. Goodwin oversaw restoration of the interior to commemorate the Jamestown Tercentenary of 1907. Further restoration work, including removal of the unauthentic exterior window shutters, occurred in 1939.


Centennial Photographic Company




This material is protected by copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code). For reproduction queries: Rights and reproductions

Is Part Of

Virginia Area Albumen Prints Collection, MS2005.16







Rights Holder

Special Collections, John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Albumen print

Physical Dimensions

11 x 14 inches


Centennial Photographic Company, “Bruton Parish Church,” John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, accessed May 29, 2024,