Site of the Old Capitol, Williamsburg, Va.

Dublin Core

Title

Site of the Old Capitol, Williamsburg, Va.

Subject

Capitol (Williamsburg, Va.)
Block 08. Building 11.
Monuments & memorials - Virginia - Williamsburg

Description

Recto and verso of postcard depicting the monument placed at the site of where the colonial Capitol building stood in Williamsburg, Virginia.

The Association for the Preservation of Virginia Antiquities (APVA) acquired the site of Williamsburg’s colonial Capitol building in 1897 as a donation from the Old Dominion Land Company. They removed remnants of the Williamsburg Female Academy which stood on the site from 1849-1861. Archaeological excavations uncovered the original foundations of the Capitol. The APVA capped the foundations with cement to provide a layer of protection.

A memorial erected in the middle of the excavated foundations in 1904 commemorated members of the House of Burgesses who formed associations against the importation or purchase of British goods. This tablet still exists and was moved to the yard surrounding the reconstructed Capitol building.

Creator

Williamsburg Drug Co.

Publisher

Albertype Co.

Date

ca. 1920s

Rights

This material is protected by copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code). For reproduction queries: Rights and reproductions

Is Part Of

Postcard Collection

Format

jpeg

Type

Image

Identifier

AV2003-06-54-R

Rights Holder

Special Collections, John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation

Citation

Williamsburg Drug Co., “Site of the Old Capitol, Williamsburg, Va.,” John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, accessed October 6, 2022, https://rocklib.omeka.net/items/show/527.