Confederate Soldiers and Sailors Monument and Washington Headquarters, Williamsburg, Va.

Dublin Core

Title

Confederate Soldiers and Sailors Monument and Washington Headquarters, Williamsburg, Va.

Subject

George Wythe House (Williamsburg, Va.)
Block 21. Building 04.
Monuments
Postcards - Virginia - Williamsburg
Church buildings - Virginia - Williamsburg

Description

Recto and verso of postcard published by Louis Kaufmann & Sons in the early 1920s. It features the Confederate Memorial once located at the southern end of Palace Green in Williamsburg, Virginia. In the background is the George Wythe House, which served as George Washington's headquarters prior to the Siege of Yorktown in 1781. Beyond it is the structure that housed Williamsburg's Presbyterian congregation prior to its move to a new facility on Richmond Rd.

The stone obelisk memorializing Confederate dead was erected by the Daughters of the Confederacy. During annual celebrations of the anniversary of the Battle of Williamsburg, a memorial observance was held at the monument. Much to the horror of long-time residents, the monument was eventually removed as restoration work progressed. A court case ensued in 1932, as many residents felt Civil War history and heroes were being overshadowed by the efforts to highlight the town’s colonial history. The obelisk eventually found a new home just outside the historic district at the new James City County Courthouse complex on South England Street. Today, it can be found on Court Street in the Bicentennial Park.

Publisher

Louis Kaufmann & Sons

Date

ca. 1920s

Rights

This material is protected by copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code). For reproduction queries: Rights and reproductions

Is Part Of

Postcard Collection

Format

jpeg

Type

Image

Identifier

AV-2003-06-57-R

Rights Holder

Special Collections, John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Postcard

Physical Dimensions

3 x 5 inches

Citation

“Confederate Soldiers and Sailors Monument and Washington Headquarters, Williamsburg, Va.,” John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, accessed June 24, 2024, https://rocklib.omeka.net/items/show/540.