Restoration House

Dublin Core

Title

Restoration House

Subject

Architecture, Domestic - Virginia - Williamsburg
Lost architecture - Virginia - Williamsburg
Block 13. Building 34.

Description

North elevation of the Restoration House, formerly the Bruton Parish Rectory, Williamsburg, Virginia. This large three-story home across from Bruton Parish Church originally served as the church rectory but became available in the late 1920s when the George Wythe House took on a new role as the residence for clergy. Renovations for the conversion of the former rectory began on November 6, 1928 and reached completion on January 12, 1929. The large facility offered clean rooms and on-site dining for the growing team of contractors, researchers, and architectural draftsmen arriving in town to assist with the initial plans for restoring a set of historical structures in Williamsburg. As investigations into Williamsburg’s eighteenth-century appearance progressed, the Restoration House eventually faced demolition to allow for reconstruction of the Hartwell Perry Ordinary.

Creator

Barrows, John

Is Part Of

John A. Barrows Photograph Collection, MS1996.22

Format

jpeg

Extent

1 photogrpah

Type

Image

Identifier

Bar-510. See also 1992-202 CN.

Rights Holder

Special Collections, John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Gelatin silver print

Physical Dimensions

2.5 x 4 inches

Citation

Barrows, John, “Restoration House,” John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, accessed June 19, 2024, https://rocklib.omeka.net/items/show/5521.