Ayscough's Shop on York Road

Dublin Core


Ayscough's Shop on York Road


Ayscough House (Williamsburg, Va.)
Historic buildings - Virginia - Williamsburg
Stores, Retail - Virginia - Williamsburg
Block 08. Building 05.


Lantern slide featuring a photo of the exterior of Ayscough Shop taken by F.S. Lincoln. It is the twelfth slide in a set produced by the Pacific Stereopticon Co. of Los Angeles, California, now defunct, to illustrate the story of Dr. W.A.R. Goodwin's dream to restore a portion of Williamsburg, Virginia to its 18th-century appearance as a shrine to early American ideals.

This slide shows the entrance of the Ayscough Shop in 1935, when it housed the Forge and Wheel, a retail establishment. As noted on the sign, the shop sold decorative ironwork, pottery, and other items.

Christopher Ayscough, the namesake of the shop, tried operating a tavern on the site between 1768-1770. Other shopkeepers, including Catherine Rathell, Matthew Holt, and Jacob Bruce, briefly occupied the store and sold various goods to townspeople.

The structure survived from the eighteenth century, although it was hardly recognizable due to the enlargements and modifications made in the nineteenth century. Once restored to its eighteenth-century appearance, the building exhibited such features typical of a commercial establishment as a gable end entrance and large shop window.


Lincoln, F.S.


Pacific Stereopticon Co.



Is Part Of

Pacific Stereopticon Lantern Slide Collection







Rights Holder

Special Collections, John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Lantern slide

Physical Dimensions

2 x 3 inches


Lincoln, F.S., “Ayscough's Shop on York Road,” John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, accessed December 6, 2022, https://rocklib.omeka.net/items/show/558.