St. George Tucker House Before Restoration

Dublin Core

Title

St. George Tucker House Before Restoration

Subject

St. George Tucker House (Williamsburg, Va.)
Historic buildings - Virginia - Williamsburg
Block 29. Building 02.
Architecture, Domestic - Virginia - Williamsburg

Description

Lantern slide featuring a pre-restoration photo of the St. George Tucker House. It is the eighteenth slide in a set produced by the Pacific Stereopticon Co. of Los Angeles, California, now defunct, to illustrate the story of Dr. W.A.R. Goodwin's dream to restore a portion of Williamsburg, Virginia to its 18th-century appearance as a shrine to early American ideals.

This view shows the front elevation of one of the Historic Area's original eighteenth-century houses, when it was still occupied by descendants of the original builder. St. George Tucker, a law professor at the College of William & Mary, purchased and moved the central portion of the house from Palace Green to Market Square in 1788. He added wings to enlarge the size.

Publisher

Pacific Stereopticon Co.

Is Part Of

Pacific Stereopticon Company Lantern Slide Collection

Format

jpeg

Type

Format

Identifier

PSC-018

Rights Holder

Special Collections, John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Lantern slide

Physical Dimensions

2 x 3 inches

Citation

“St. George Tucker House Before Restoration,” John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, accessed January 20, 2022, https://rocklib.omeka.net/items/show/564.