Bruton Parish Church

Dublin Core

Title

Bruton Parish Church

Subject

Bruton Parish Church (Williamsburg, Va.)
Church architecture - Virginia - Williamsburg
Block 21. Building 01.

Description

Lantern slide featuring a photo of the exterior of Bruton Parish Church as it appeared around 1935. It is the twenty-first slide in a set produced by the Pacific Stereopticon Co. of Los Angeles, California, now defunct, to illustrate the story of Dr. W.A.R. Goodwin's dream to restore a portion of Williamsburg, Virginia to its 18th-century appearance as a shrine to early American ideals.

A smaller seventeenth-century structure stood on the site from 1683 until 1715, when the larger and more elaborate cruciform-style church replaced it. Located at the edge of Palace Green on the corner of Duke of Gloucester Street and Palace Street, the church was originally designed by colonial Governor Alexander Spotswood.

A series of restoration efforts began under Dr. W.A.R. Goodwin's direction between 1903-1907 and continued periodically until completed in 1940. In this 1935 photo of the north facade of Bruton Parish Church, the building retains the Colonial Revival window shutters installed by architect J. Stewart Barney during his 1906 renovation of the exterior, according to how be believed the church appeared in the eighteenth century. The shutters were later removed during final restoration efforts in 1939, given the availability of further research information.

Bruton Parish continues to serve an active Episcopal congregation and has functioned as a site of worship for the community since the parish was first founded in 1674.

Publisher

Pacific Stereopticon Co.

Date

ca. 1935

Is Part Of

Pacific Stereopticon Company Lantern Slide Collection

Format

jpeg

Type

Image

Identifier

PSC-021

Rights Holder

Special Collections, John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Lantern slide

Physical Dimensions

2 x 3 inches

Citation

“Bruton Parish Church,” John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, accessed May 20, 2022, https://rocklib.omeka.net/items/show/567.