Interior of Bruton Church

Dublin Core


Interior of Bruton Church


Bruton Parish Church (Williamsburg, Va.)
Church architecture - Virginia - Williamsburg
Historic buildings - Virginia - Williamsburg
Block 21. Building 01.


Lantern slide featuring a photo of the interior of Bruton Parish Church looking down the nave towards the altar. It is the twenty-second slide in a set produced by the Pacific Stereopticon Co. of Los Angeles, California, now defunct, to illustrate the story of Dr. W.A.R. Goodwin's dream to restore a portion of Williamsburg, Virginia to its 18th-century appearance as a shrine to early American ideals.

This pre-restoration view of the church interior dates to sometime between 1907 and 1930. It reflects changes made to the sanctuary as a result of initial efforts to bring the interior closer to its original form in anticipation of the Jamestown Tercentenary. Dr. W.A.R. Goodwin, who became rector of the church in 1903, worked with architect J. Stewart Barney on the plans. Renovations to the church in the 19th-century had led to the reorientation of the sanctuary and the movement of the altar to the west end. The 1907 refurbishment included re-situating the altar at the east end of the nave. A large circular stained glass window provided a colorful focal point above the altar. It was later removed during a final wave of restoration work undertaken in 1939.


Pacific Stereopticon Co.


ca. 1907-1930

Is Part Of

Pacific Stereopticon Company Lantern Slide Collection







Rights Holder

Special Collections, John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Lantern slide

Physical Dimensions

2 x 3 inches


“Interior of Bruton Church,” John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, accessed May 29, 2024,