A Dining Room in the Travis House

Title

A Dining Room in the Travis House

Subject

Travis House (Williamsburg, Va.)
Taverns (Inns) - Virginia - Williamsburg
Historic buildings - Virginia - Williamsburg
Restaurants - Virginia - Williamsburg
Block 13. Building 23A.

Description

Lantern slide featuring a photo taken by F.S. Lincoln of the Dining Room in the Travis House as it appeared in 1935. It is the twenty-sixth slide in a set produced by the Pacific Stereopticon Co. of Los Angeles, California, now defunct, to illustrate the story of Dr. W.A.R. Goodwin's dream to restore a portion of Williamsburg, Virginia to its 18th-century appearance as a shrine to early American ideals.

A popular restaurant for tourists in the 1930s, the Travis House stood for a period of time along Duke of Gloucester Street on the site formerly occupied by the Palace Theatre. Its menu featured dishes inspired by colonial recipes. The structure moved back to its original location at the northeast corner of Francis and Henry Streets in the early 1950s.

Colonel Edward Champion Travis built the home in 1765 and it acquired several additions as successive owners occupied the site. Travis served in the House of Burgesses and was its most prominent colonial occupant. The house became a residence for superintendents of Eastern State Hospital in the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.

Eastern State Hospital turned the building over to the Williamsburg Restoration in 1929 and this led to its temporary move to Duke of Gloucester Street to become a restaurant between 1930-1951.

Creator

Lincoln, F.S.

Publisher

Pacific Stereopticon Co.

Date

1935

Is Part Of

Pacific Stereopticon Company Lantern Slide Collection

Format

jpeg

Type

Image

Identifier

PSC-026

Rights Holder

Special Collections, John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation

Original Format

Lantern slide

Physical Dimensions

2 x 3 inches

Files

PSC-026.jpg

Citation

Lincoln, F.S., “A Dining Room in the Travis House,” John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, accessed October 18, 2019, https://rocklib.omeka.net/items/show/572.