The Capitol

Dublin Core

Title

The Capitol

Subject

Capitol (Williamsburg, Va.)
Block 08. Building 11.
Public buildings - Virginia - Williamsburg
Historic buildings - Virginia - Williamsburg

Description

Hand-colored lantern slide featuring photo of the Capitol taken by F.S. Lincoln in 1935. It is the thirty-third slide in a set produced by the Pacific Stereopticon Co. of Los Angeles, California, now defunct, to illustrate the story of Dr. W.A.R. Goodwin's dream to restore a portion of Williamsburg, Virginia to its 18th-century appearance as a shrine to early American ideals.

The slide shows the exterior of the Capitol building, southern and western facades, viewed from the southwest near Francis Street. The Capitol's south-facing lawn and Blair Street are in the foreground. In the background stands the Capitol building, surrounded by the brick wall and southern entry gate. Rounded apsidal ends of the Capitol derive from Roman basilicas which contained such features in which public magistrates officiated. The royal coat of arms and clock are visible on the clock tower above the entrance to the building (completed during the reign of Queen Anne, the original cupola displayed the ruler’s coat of arms). Gnarled trunks of paper mulberry trees appear along Blair Street—a reference to the early colonists’ unsuccessful efforts to establish silk production in Virginia.

Creator

Lincoln, F.S.

Publisher

Pacific Stereopticon Co.

Date

1935

Is Part Of

Pacific Stereopticon Company Lantern Slide Collection

Format

jpeg

Type

Image

Identifier

PSC-033

Rights Holder

Special Collections, John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Lantern slide

Physical Dimensions

2 x 3 inches

Citation

Lincoln, F.S., “The Capitol,” John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, accessed May 22, 2022, https://rocklib.omeka.net/items/show/579.