The Capitol

Dublin Core

Title

The Capitol

Subject

Capitol (Williamsburg, Va.)
Block 08. Building 11.
Public buildings - Virginia - Williamsburg
Historic buildings - Virginia - Williamsburg

Description

Hand-colored lantern slide featuring photo of the entrance gate leading into the Capitol complex taken by F.S. Lincoln in 1935. It is the thirty-fourth slide in a set produced by the Pacific Stereopticon Co. of Los Angeles, California, now defunct, to illustrate the story of Dr. W.A.R. Goodwin's dream to restore a portion of Williamsburg, Virginia to its 18th-century appearance as a shrine to early American ideals.

The slide shows the Capitol's north facade, from the north gate entrance looking toward the building. The clock and cupola are visible on the clock tower above the entrance to the building. "The H-shaped plan of the Capitol reflects the division of the government between the lower and upper houses of the legislature....As the General Assembly evolved, it comprised the Council [meeting in the west wing, to the right] and the House of Burgesses [in the east wing, to the left], each of which met separately."

(Source: Michael Olmert and Suzanne Coffman, Official Guide to Colonial Williamsburg [Williamsburg, VA: The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, 2007], 68).

Creator

Lincoln, F.S.

Publisher

Pacific Stereopticon Co.

Date

1935

Is Part Of

Pacific Stereopticon Company Lantern Slide Collection

Format

jpeg

Type

Image

Identifier

PSC-034

Rights Holder

Special Collections, John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Lantern slide

Physical Dimensions

2 x 3 inches

Citation

Lincoln, F.S., “The Capitol,” John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, accessed December 4, 2022, https://rocklib.omeka.net/items/show/580.