Council Chamber in the Capitol

Dublin Core

Title

Council Chamber in the Capitol

Subject

Capitol (Williamsburg, Va.)
Block 08. Building 11.
Public buildings - Virginia - Williamsburg
Historic buildings - Virginia - Williamsburg

Description

Lantern slide featuring a photo of the Council Chamber on the second floor of the Capitol, Williamsburg, Virginia, ca. 1935. It is the thirty-seventh slide in a set produced by the Pacific Stereopticon Co. of Los Angeles, California, now defunct, to illustrate the story of Dr. W.A.R. Goodwin's dream to restore a portion of Williamsburg, Virginia to its 18th-century appearance as a shrine to early American ideals.

Located on the second floor (West wing) of the reconstructed Capitol building of 1705, the Council Chamber served as place for members of the Governor's Council to meet. The Council consisted of twelve colonists appointed by the King to serve for life in the upper house of Virginia's legislature.

Interior furnishings and decor reflect curators' views in the 1930s as to how Williamsburg's historic interiors may have looked in the eighteenth century. Nevertheless, with new research advancements over the years, the interiors of the Capitol have changed to reflect a more authentic and accurate view of the building’s likely contents and room arrangements.


Creator

Lincoln, F.S.

Publisher

Pacific Stereopticon Co.

Date

ca. 1935

Is Part Of

Pacific Stereopticon Company Lantern Slide Collection

Format

jpeg

Type

Image

Identifier

PSC-037

Rights Holder

Special Collections, John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Lantern slide

Physical Dimensions

2 x 3 inches

Citation

Lincoln, F.S., “Council Chamber in the Capitol,” John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, accessed May 11, 2021, https://rocklib.omeka.net/items/show/583.