George Wythe House

Dublin Core

Title

George Wythe House

Subject

Architecture, Domestic - Virginia - Williamsburg
George Wythe House (Williamsburg, Va.)
Historic buildings - Virginia - Williamsburg
Block 21. Building 04.

Description

East elevation of the George Wythe House. The photo shows the Wythe House after its first period of restoration under the direction of Dr. W.A.R. Goodwin, who resided in it during this era.
Dr. Goodwin added the side porch to the main building’s north façade in 1926 during its renovation as Bruton Parish rectory. Architect Charles M. Robinson, who designed several dormitories for the College of William & Mary, oversaw modifications that included removal of the two-story 19th-century entrance porch and installation of an ornate door surround modeled after the river front example at William Byrd’s Westover plantation on the James River.

Creator

Barrows, John

Date

1930

Is Part Of

John A. Barrows Photograph Collection, MS1996.22, Box 2

Format

jpeg

Extent

1 photograph

Type

Image

Identifier

Bar-760. See also 1992-851 CN.

Rights Holder

Special Collections, John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation.

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Gelatin silver print

Physical Dimensions

2.5 x 4 inches

Citation

Barrows, John, “George Wythe House,” John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, accessed June 30, 2022, https://rocklib.omeka.net/items/show/5837.