Coat of Arms on the Governor's Palace

Dublin Core

Title

Coat of Arms on the Governor's Palace

Subject

Governor's Palace (Williamsburg, Va.)
Block 20. Building 03.
Public buildings - Virginia - Williamsburg
Historic buildings - Virginia - Williamsburg

Description

Hand-colored lantern slide featuring a photo taken by F.S. Lincoln in 1935 of the royal coat of arms on the pediment of the Governor's Palace ballroom wing. It is the forty-fifth slide in a set produced by the Pacific Stereopticon Co. of Los Angeles, California, now defunct, to illustrate the story of Dr. W.A.R. Goodwin's dream to restore a portion of Williamsburg, Virginia to its 18th-century appearance as a shrine to early American ideals.

The slide shows the exterior of the Governor's Palace, north facade, featuring the rear entrance and ballroom wing of the building. The ballroom wing was built as an addition during the 1750s. Above its doors, a painted carving of the royal coat of arms is mounted within a pedimented gable.

Creator

Lincoln, F.S.

Publisher

Pacific Stereopticon Company

Date

1935

Format

jpeg

Type

Image

Identifier

PSC-045

Rights Holder

Special Collections, John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Lantern slide

Physical Dimensions

2 x 3 inches

Citation

Lincoln, F.S., “Coat of Arms on the Governor's Palace,” John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, accessed May 17, 2022, https://rocklib.omeka.net/items/show/591.