The Distinguished Colonists of the Early Days Attending Old Bruton Parish Church, Williamsburg, Va.

Title

The Distinguished Colonists of the Early Days Attending Old Bruton Parish Church, Williamsburg, Va.

Subject

Bruton Parish Church (Williamsburg, Va.)
Block 21. Building 01.
Church architecture - Virginia - Williamsburg
Postcards - Virginia - Williamsburg
Thompson, A. Wordsworth (Alfred Wordsworth), 1840-1896

Description

Recto and verso of postcard illustrated with a hand-colored image of a painting titled "Bruton Parish Church in Early Colonial Days" by A. Wordsworth Thompson. The original painting is now owned by the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Thompson was active as an artist in the late 19th-century. This composition depicts the church as it appeared before 1895.

The caption reads: "Bruton Parish Church. Oldest Episcopal Church in America in continuous use, Court church of Colonial Virginia. Worship began 1632. First brick church completed 1683. Present building 1710-15. Transepts built by and for House of Burgesses. Colonial Governor's Canopied Pew. Three sets communion silver, viz.: Jamestown, 1661; William and Mary, 1686; King George III, 1766. Jamestown Font, "Liberty Bell of Virginia," first in America to proclaim civil Independence, May 15th, 1776. George Washington's name on parish register eleven times. Lectern presented by President Theodore Roosevelt. Holy Bible by King Edward VII. Pews Memorial to George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, James Monroe, John Tyler, John Marshall, Patrick Henry and many other distinguished worshippers."

Creator

H.D. Cole for The Albertype Co.

Date

ca. 1930s

Is Part Of

Postcard Collection

Format

jpeg

Type

Image

Identifier

AV-2000-02-82-R

Rights Holder

Special Collections, John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation

Original Format

Postcard

Physical Dimensions

3.5 x 5.5 inches

Files

AV-2000-02-82-R.jpg
AV-2000-02-82-V.jpg

Citation

H.D. Cole for The Albertype Co., “The Distinguished Colonists of the Early Days Attending Old Bruton Parish Church, Williamsburg, Va.,” John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, accessed October 18, 2019, https://rocklib.omeka.net/items/show/616.