Bruton Parish Church, Williamsburg, Virginia

Dublin Core

Title

Bruton Parish Church, Williamsburg, Virginia

Subject

Bruton Parish Church (Williamsburg, Va.)
Block 21. Building 01.
Church architecture - Virginia - Williamsburg
Postcards - Virginia - Williamsburg

Description

Recto and verso of official Colonial Williamsburg postcard illustrated with a view of the northeast exterior elevation of Bruton Parish Church. Part of a series of cards produced by the Albertype Company to promote Williamsburg as a tourist destination in the 1930s, it shows the church before final restoration work occured in 1939. The exterior shutters, louvered window grills on the church tower, and ivy growing up the walls were all removed in the late 1930s in an effort to bring the exterior back to its 18th-century form.

The caption reads: "The present church was erected in 1710-1715 to replace an earlier church. In its aisles and graveyard are the graves of two colonial governors, three secretaries of state, and many other prominent persons of the colonial period."

Creator

Albertype Co.

Date

ca. 1930s

Is Part Of

Postcard Collection

Format

jpeg

Type

Image

Identifier

AVPC-427-R

Rights Holder

Special Collections, John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Postcard

Physical Dimensions

3.5 x 5.5 inches

Citation

Albertype Co., “Bruton Parish Church, Williamsburg, Virginia,” John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, accessed May 29, 2024, https://rocklib.omeka.net/items/show/621.