Bruton Parish Church, Williamsburg, Virginia

Dublin Core

Title

Bruton Parish Church, Williamsburg, Virginia

Subject

Bruton Parish Church (Williamsburg, Va.)
Block 21. Building 01.
Postcards - Virginia - Williamsburg
Church architecture - Virginia - Williamsburg
Overly, Charles H.

Description

Recto and verso of official Colonial Williamsburg postcard featuring an illustration of Bruton Parish Church created by Charles H. Overly. The artist worked on a contract basis for Colonial Williamsburg's Products Division and also produced a series of illustrations of Historic Area buildings that could be purchased in sets of four at the Craft House, a retail outlet on Merchants Square.

The caption reads: "Bruton Parish Church, completed in 1715, is a fine example of the colonial church in America. the walls and windows of the church are original, but much of the interior woodwork was torn out during the nineteenth-century. The interior, partially restored in 1905, and more completely in 1938, once again resembles its eighteenth-century appearance."

Creator

Produced by Charles H. Overly for Williamsburg Restoration, Inc.

Date

ca. 1950s

Is Part Of

Postcard Collection

Format

jpeg

Type

Image

Identifier

AVPC-004-R
AVPC-004-V

Rights Holder

Special Collections, John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Postcard

Physical Dimensions

3.5 x 5.5 inches

Citation

Produced by Charles H. Overly for Williamsburg Restoration, Inc., “Bruton Parish Church, Williamsburg, Virginia,” John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, accessed December 3, 2022, https://rocklib.omeka.net/items/show/625.