Interior, Bruton Parish Church

Dublin Core

Title

Interior, Bruton Parish Church

Subject

Bruton Parish Church (Williamsburg, Va.)
Block 21. Building 01.
Church architecture - Virginia - Williamsburg
Postcards - Virginia - Williamsburg

Description

Recto and verso of postcard featuring the interior of Bruton Parish Church looking towards the altar.

This pre-restoration view of the church interior dates to sometime between 1907 and 1930. It reflects changes made to the sanctuary as a result of initial efforts to bring the interior closer to its original form in anticipation of the Jamestown Tercentenary. Dr. W.A.R. Goodwin, who became rector of the church in 1903, worked with architect J. Stewart Barney on the plans. Renovations to the church in the 19th-century had led to the reorientation of the sanctuary and the movement of the altar to the west end. The 1907 refurbishment included re-situating the altar at the east end of the nave. A large circular stained glass window provided a colorful focal point above the altar. It was later removed during a final wave of restoration work undertaken in 1939.

Creator

Louis Kaufmann and Sons

Date

ca. 1920s

Is Part Of

Postcard Collection

Format

jpeg

Type

Image

Identifier

AVPC-93-031-R
AVPC-93-031-V

Rights Holder

Special Collections, John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Postcard

Physical Dimensions

3.5 x 5.5 inches

Citation

Louis Kaufmann and Sons, “Interior, Bruton Parish Church,” John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, accessed June 15, 2021, https://rocklib.omeka.net/items/show/635.