Old Powder Horn

Dublin Core

Title

Old Powder Horn

Subject

Powder Magazine (Williamsburg, Va.)
Block 12. Building 09.
Postcards - Virginia - Williamsburg
Powder magazines - Virginia - Williamsburg

Description

Recto of a late nineteenth-century postcard featuring a hand-colored photo of the Powder Magazine soon after its initial restoration by the Association for the Preservation of Virginia Antiquities.

The octagonal Powder Magazine is an original eighteenth-century structure and has taken on many different functions over time. Constructed in 1715 under the orders of Governor Spotswood, the Magazine first served as a secure storage site for arms, ammunition, and military equipment. It reprised this role during the Civil War, when Confederate soldiers again stored gunpowder inside. In the late nineteenth century, town residents re-purposed the building for use as a Baptist meetinghouse, dancing school, market, and stable. Efforts by the A.P.V.A. to protect the historic structure led to its preservation as an early tourist attraction in Williamsburg prior to the birth of Colonial Williamsburg.

Date

ca. 1898

Is Part Of

Postcard Collection

Format

jpeg

Type

Image

Identifier

AVPC-386-R

Rights Holder

Special Collections, John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Postcard

Physical Dimensions

3.5 x 5.5 inches

Citation

“Old Powder Horn,” John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, accessed December 3, 2022, https://rocklib.omeka.net/items/show/641.