The Old Powder Horn

Dublin Core

Title

The Old Powder Horn

Subject

Powder Magazine (Williamsburg, Va.)
Block 12. Building 09.
Powder magazines - Virginia - Williamsburg

Description

Recto of postcard illustrated with a photo of the Powder Magazine covered in a thick coat of ivy. Part of a series of photos taken by The Albertype Co. of Brooklyn, New York, and published by the Williamsburg Drug Co., the card dates to the era when the Association for the Preservation of Virginia Antiquities operated the structure as an historic site.

The caption reads: "The Old Powder Horn, an octagonal, towerlike structure erected in 1715 by Governor Alexander Spottswood as a storehouse for Military Supplies sent to Virginia by Queen Anne. It played an important part during the Revolution, later becoming a Baptist Church, Market, and in the Civil War, a Confederate arsenal. It is now a Museum."

Creator

Albertype Co.

Date

ca. 1920s

Is Part Of

Postcard Collection

Format

jpeg

Type

Image

Identifier

AV-2000-02-29-R
AV-2000-02-29-V

Rights Holder

Special Collections, John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Postcard

Physical Dimensions

3.5 x 5.5 inches

Citation

Albertype Co., “The Old Powder Horn,” John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, accessed October 19, 2021, https://rocklib.omeka.net/items/show/647.