Mayo House

Dublin Core

Title

Mayo House

Subject

Mayo House (Williamsburg, Va.)
Lost architecture - Virginia - Williamsburg
Block 08.

Description

Front or south elevation of the Mayo House, also known as the Boston House, 511 E. Francis Street, Williamsburg, Virginia, prior to its demolition. Originally located on York Street at the approximate site of the Patrick Henry Inn, the Mayo family moved it to a site adjacent to the Ayscough House. The Mayos negotiated a life tenancy agreement with Colonial Williamsburg and originally planned to restore the structure themselves. However, when the work had not progressed in a timely manner, Colonial Williamsburg offered to undertake the restoration. After examining the house, which by then was in poor condition, the team of architects decided on its removal. Since the building’s original eighteenth-century site stood outside the museum’s boundaries, they felt conflicted about situating it in an unauthentic location. Many architectural elements from the interior were re-purposed for use in restoring other dwellings. For example, the Mayo House stairway is now featured in the George Pitt House.

Creator

Shurcliff, Arthur

Date

1929

Is Part Of

Arthur Shurcliff Williamsburg Record Photograph Albums, AV2010.5, Box 1, Volume 2

Identifier

AV201005_S237

Rights Holder

Special Collections, John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation.

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Gelatin silver print mounted on linen

Physical Dimensions

5 x 7 inches

Citation

Shurcliff, Arthur, “Mayo House,” John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, accessed February 9, 2023, https://rocklib.omeka.net/items/show/6807.