Bruton Parish Church and Church Yard, Williamsburg, Virginia

Dublin Core

Title

Bruton Parish Church and Church Yard, Williamsburg, Virginia

Subject

Bruton Parish Church (Williamsburg, Va.)
Block 21. Building 01.
Church architecture - Virginia - Williamsburg
Postcards - Virginia - Williamsburg

Description

Recto and verso of postcard featuring a view of the northwest elevation of Bruton Parish Church and its cemetery. Published by the Albertype Company and sold by H.D. Cole in his shop on Duke of Gloucester Street, it is an example of a souvenir card available to tourists prior to the existence of Colonial Williamsburg.

The caption reads: "Built in 1710. Here Washington and three other presidents worshipped. The bell in the steeple, made in England in 1761, was the first in America to proclaim civil independence. The lecturn was presented by President Roosevelt, and the Bibles by King Edward VII, and President Wilson."

Creator

Albertype Co.

Date

Circa 1920s

Is Part Of

Postcard Collection

Format

jpeg

Type

Image

Identifier

AV-2003-06-22-R
AV-2003-06-22-V

Rights Holder

Special Collections, John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Postcard

Physical Dimensions

3.5 x 5.5 inches

Citation

Albertype Co., “Bruton Parish Church and Church Yard, Williamsburg, Virginia,” John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, accessed August 10, 2022, https://rocklib.omeka.net/items/show/731.