Bruton Parish Church Interior

Dublin Core

Title

Bruton Parish Church Interior

Subject

Bruton Parish Church (Williamsburg, Va.)
Block 21. Building 01.
Church architecture - Virginia - Williamsburg
Postcards - Virginia - Williamsburg

Description

Recto and verso of postcard produced by The Albertype Company that features a view looking from the rear balcony down the nave of Bruton Parish Church towards the altar. The sanctuary retains the appearance that resulted from architect J. Stewart Barney's restoration of the interior completed in 1907. While the altar is in its original eastern configuration, the stained glass window and large arched opening were removed during final restoration work in the late 1930s.

The caption reads: "Bruton Parish Church originally erected in 1683, rebuilt and enlarged in 1715, became the court church of Colonial Virginia. It is the oldest Episcopal Church in continuous use in the United States. Four presidents of the United States have worshipped within its walls, Washington, Jefferson, Monroe, and Tyler."

Creator

Albertype Co.

Date

Circa 1930s

Date Created

Circa 1930s

Is Part Of

Postcard Collection

Format

jpeg

Type

Image

Identifier

AVPC-93-086-R
AVPC-93-086-V

Rights Holder

Special Collections, John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Postcard

Physical Dimensions

3.5 x 5.5 inches

Citation

Albertype Co., “Bruton Parish Church Interior,” John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, accessed June 15, 2021, https://rocklib.omeka.net/items/show/734.