Bruton Parish Church, Williamsburg, Virginia

Title

Bruton Parish Church, Williamsburg, Virginia

Subject

Bruton Parish Church (Williamsburg, Va.)
Block 21. Building 01.
Church architecture - Virginia - Williamsburg
Postcards - Virginia - Williamsburg

Description

Recto and verso of postcard published by Williamsburg resident Henry Dennison Cole and sold in his shop along Duke of Gloucester Street. An example of an early Divided Back postcard, it features a view of the sanctuary of Bruton Parish Church after architect J. Stewart Barney completed restoration of the interior in 1907. The altar is once more located at the east end of the nave with the pulpit to the right and the Governor's Chair to the left. Many elements of the altar area, including the stained glass window and the large arched opening, were removed during a second round of restoration work in the 1930s.

The card's caption reads: "Built in 1710. Where Washington worshipped in 1781. The parish dates back from 1632. Four presidents of the United States have worshipped within its walls - Washington, Jefferson, Monroe, and Tyler. The bell which hangs in the tower was made in England and presented to the church in 1761, and summoned the patriots together in Revolutionary times. The brick wall enclosing the graveyard was built in 1752."

Creator

Cole, Henry Dennison

Date

1907

Date Created

1907

Is Part Of

Postcard Collection

Format

jpeg

Type

Image

Identifier

AVPC-425-R

Rights Holder

Special Collections, John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation

Original Format

Postcard

Physical Dimensions

3.5 x 5.5 inches

Citation

Cole, Henry Dennison, “Bruton Parish Church, Williamsburg, Virginia,” John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, accessed February 26, 2021, https://rocklib.omeka.net/items/show/735.