Wythe House, Williamsburg, Virginia

Title

Wythe House, Williamsburg, Virginia

Subject

Postcards - Virginia - Williamsburg
George Wythe House (Williamsburg, Va.)
Block 21. Building 04.
Historic buildings - Virginia - Williamsburg
Architecture, Domestic - Virginia - Williamsburg

Description

Recto and verso of official Colonial Williamsburg postcard illustrated with a photo of the George Wythe House as viewed from Palace Green, circa late 1930s.

The caption reads: "Erected in 1755, this house was willed to George Wythe in 1775. Wythe was the first professor of the first law course offered by an American college and he was also a signer of the Declaration of Independence. The Wythe House served as the headquarters for George Washington prior to the Yorktown Siege. Restored."

Creator

Colonial Williamsburg, Inc.

Date

Circa late 1930s

Date Created

Circa late 1930s

Is Part Of

Postcard Collection

Format

jpeg

Type

Image

Identifier

AVPC-070-R
AVPC-070-V

Rights Holder

Special Collections, John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation

Original Format

Postcard

Physical Dimensions

3.5 x 5.5 inches

Files

AVPC-070-R.jpg
AVPC-070-V.jpg

Citation

Colonial Williamsburg, Inc., “Wythe House, Williamsburg, Virginia,” John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, accessed October 17, 2019, https://rocklib.omeka.net/items/show/888.