William Finnie House

Title

William Finnie House

Subject

William Finnie House (Williamsburg, Va.)
Postcards - Virginia - Williamsburg
Block 02. Building 07.
Architecture, Domestic - Virginia - Williamsburg
Historic buildings - Virginia - Williamsburg

Description

Recto and verso of postcard of the William Finnie House, once known as the Peyton Randolph House, published by H.D. Cole, News Dealer.

One of the eighty-eight original buildings at Colonial Williamsburg, the Finnie House is named after William Finnie. He resided in the home in the 1770s and early 1780s and held the office of quartermaster general of the Southern Department during the American Revolution.

At the time of this postcard's publication, townspeople mistakenly associated this home with Peyton Randolph. Research undertaken during the initial restoration of Williamsburg revealed that Randolph resided in a different home and it was re-named for one of its prominent residents, William Finnie.

The caption reads: "Home of Honorable Peyton Randolph, First President of the Continental Congress which met in Carpenter's Hall, Philadelphia, September 5, 1774 and Providential Grand Master of Masons of Virginia, Williamsburg, Virginia."

Creator

Cole, H.D.

Is Part Of

Postcard Collection

Format

jpeg

Type

Image

Identifier

AV-2000-2-10

Rights Holder

Special Collections, John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation

Original Format

Postcard

Physical Dimensions

3.5 x 5.5 inches

Files

AV-2000-2-10-R.jpg
AV-2000-2-10-V.jpg

Citation

Cole, H.D., “William Finnie House,” John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, accessed June 26, 2019, https://rocklib.omeka.net/items/show/896.