Browse Items (330 total)

  • Tags: Chimneys

HLS-73.jpg
Exterior view of the Public Gaol and pillory. Opened as an exhibition building in April 1936, the Public Gaol is one of eighty-eight original buildings in the Historic Area that have been restored to their eighteenth-century appearance. Criminals…

HLS-15.jpg
View of the side of the main building at Bacon's Castle with its gable end and triple chimney. Located in Surry County, Virginia, the home was erected in 1665 by colonial planter Arthur Allen.

HLS-16.jpg
Front elevation of Mt. Airy, the seat of the Tayloe family near Richmond, Virginia, as it looked in the first half of the twentieth-century.

HLS-44.jpg
Post-restoration view of the Bourbon House after being restored to its eighteenth-century appearance and re-named the Christopher Ayscough Shop.

Christopher Ayscough, the namesake of the shop, tried operating a tavern on the site between…

HLS-62.jpg
A popular restaurant for tourists in the 1930s, the Travis House stood for a period of time along Duke of Gloucester Street on the site formerly occupied by the Palace Theater. Its menu featured dishes inspired by colonial recipes. The structure…

HLS-17.jpg
Exterior elevation of Westover Plantation, Charles City County, Virginia, as viewed from the James River.

HLS-38.jpg
Exterior view of the Wren Building at the College of William and Mary. Begun in 1695, the construction of the Wren Building marked the birth of an academic center in colonial Virginia. One of the oldest academic structures in the United States, the…

HLS-46.jpg
View of the Levingston Kitchen from across Palace Street. Located on the East side of Palace Green, the kitchen is the only structure that remains from a housing complex constructed by William Levingston in the early eighteenth-century. Levingston is…

HLS-129.jpg
Automobiles parked in the semi-circular drive in front of the Williamsburg Inn, Williamsburg, Virginia.

HLS-54.jpg
View of the front elevation of the Ludwell-Paradise House as featured on a lantern slide produced by A.D. Handy Co. One of the eighty-eight original eighteenth-century buildings at Colonial Williamsburg, the house played an important role in the…

HLS-49.jpg
Post-restoration view of the William Lightfoot House, once known as the Nightingale House. Yorktown merchant William Lightfoot constructed the dwelling to serve as a town home during visits to Williamsburg to participate in the Governor's Council.…

HLS-94.jpg
View looking from the garden towards the rear of the Coke-Garrett House. Once the eighteenth-century residence of silversmith John Coke, the house later became the home of the Garrett family in the nineteenth century. The garden features a…

AV-96-36-71-R.jpg
Recto and verso of postcard depicting the rear elevation and ballroom wing of the Governor's Palace as viewed through a pleached arbor in the formal garden. This card is part of a series featuring photos taken by the Albertype Co. of Brooklyn, New…

AV-2003-06-24-R.jpg
Recto and verso of postcard illustrated with a view of the northeast exterior elevation of Bruton Parish Church. Part of a series produced by the Albertype Co. of Brooklyn, New York, for Colonial Williamsburg, the card is an example of early efforts…

AV-2000-10-05-R.jpg
Exterior of the Coke-Garrett House, view looking northwest. Once the eighteenth-century residence of silversmith John Coke, the structure later became the home of the Garrett family. The Garretts added the central Greek Revival-style portion to the…

AVPC-093-R.jpg
Recto and verso of postcard featuring photo of the Carter-Saunders House (now known as the Robert Carter House.) Back of card reads: The Carter Saunders House, Williamsburg, Virginia. Erected early in the 18th century, this house was purchased by…

AV-99-24-03-R.jpg
Recto and verso of a postcard featuring a pre-restoration photo of the Thomas Everard House when known as the Audrey House, Williamsburg, Virginia.

AV-2000-02-15-R.jpg
Postcard featuring the Custis Kitchen created by C.T. American Art Blue-Sky and published by H.D. Cole, Williamsburg, Va.

The caption reads: "Williamsburg, Va. Mrs. Washington's kitchen. All that is left of her once imposing property, which was in…