Browse Items (91 total)

  • Tags: Colonial Architecture

AV-96-33-11-R.jpg
Official Colonial Williamsburg postcard illustrated with a view of the Tayloe House, Office, and Kitchen in the springtime.

Back of postcard reads: "Colonial Williamsburg, Tayloe House, Office, and Kitchen. Historic Area, Williamsburg, Virginia.…

HLS-108.jpg
View looking through the front gate towards the entrance of the Governor's Palace, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa early 1930s. Taken by contract photographer Frank Nivison to document progress on the reconstruction of the Palace complex, the slide…

HLS-107.jpg
Exterior of Governor's Palace, view of front gate, 1935. A female costumed interpreter (once called a "hostess") stands in a gown at the front gate, while a carriage drawn by two horses stands in the front drive. Two male costumed interpreters,…

HLS-82.jpg
Exterior of the Raleigh Tavern, view looking northeast from across Duke of Gloucester Street, 1933. The Raleigh Tavern was the frequent scene of both jollity and consequence, and was "....the foremost of Williamsburg's taverns in the eighteenth…

HLS-80.jpg
View of the front elevation of the William Finnie House (formerly known as the James Semple House) taken by F.S. Lincoln in 1935. One of the eighty-eight original buildings at Colonial Williamsburg, the Finnie House is named after William Finnie. He…

HLS-73.jpg
Exterior view of the Public Gaol and pillory. Opened as an exhibition building in April 1936, the Public Gaol is one of eighty-eight original buildings in the Historic Area that have been restored to their eighteenth-century appearance. Criminals…

HLS-56.jpg
This view looking northeast at the St. George Tucker property shows one of the Historic Area's original eighteenth-century houses, when still occupied by descendants of the original builder. Later additions and outbuildings have been removed and…

HLS-55.jpg
Pre-restoration view of the front elevation of the St. George Tucker property, one of the Historic Area's original eighteenth-century houses, when still occupied by descendants of the original builder. St. George Tucker, a law professor at the…

HLS-49.jpg
Post-restoration view of the William Lightfoot House, once known as the Nightingale House. Yorktown merchant William Lightfoot constructed the dwelling to serve as a town home during visits to Williamsburg to participate in the Governor's Council.…

HLS-17.jpg
Exterior elevation of Westover Plantation, Charles City County, Virginia, as viewed from the James River.

HLS-16.jpg
Front elevation of Mt. Airy, the seat of the Tayloe family near Richmond, Virginia, as it looked in the first half of the twentieth-century.

HLS-15.jpg
View of the side of the main building at Bacon's Castle with its gable end and triple chimney. Located in Surry County, Virginia, the home was erected in 1665 by colonial planter Arthur Allen.

HLS-14.jpg
An aerial view of Mt. Vernon, showing the layout of the buildings and surrounding lanes and landscaping.

HLS-13.jpg
A photograph of Stratford Hall, birthplace of Robert E. Lee, from an airplane. The perspective shows the house in the middle of fields and forests, with its outbuildings.

HLS-5.jpg
Bruton Parish Church as it appeared in the early 1930s, facing north across Duke of Gloucester Street in Williamsburg, Virginia.

AVPC-217-R.jpg
Recto and verso of official Colonial Williamsburg postcard illustrated with a photo of the front elevation of Berkeley Plantation.

Caption reads; "Most visited of the great James River plantations located along "scenic route five" between…

AV-97-05-04-R.jpg
Part of the Albertype Company series, this postcard depicts the John Blair House on Duke of Gloucester Street soon after its restoration to its eighteenth-century appearance.

The card's caption reads: "Throughout the eighteenth century this…