Browse Items (29 total)

  • Tags: Columns

Na1733.jpg
Pre-restoration view of the George Jackson House, 135 York Street, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1930's.

HLS-80.jpg
View of the front elevation of the William Finnie House (formerly known as the James Semple House) taken by F.S. Lincoln in 1935. One of the eighty-eight original buildings at Colonial Williamsburg, the Finnie House is named after William Finnie. He…

HLS-69.jpg
Exterior view of the A & P Store (south side of Merchants Square), from the corner of Duke of Gloucester Street and North Henry Streets, 1935. The A&P Food Market, which was later converted into the Craft House, stands at the street corner. Next…

HLS-141.jpg
View of the east end of the Coke-Garrett House, once known as the Lottie Garrett House. The western portion served as the eighteenth-century residence of silversmith John Coke, while the central Greek Revival style portion was constructed in the…

HLS-129.jpg
Automobiles parked in the semi-circular drive in front of the Williamsburg Inn, Williamsburg, Virginia.

HLS-42.jpg
Begun in 1695, the construction of the Wren Building marked the birth of an academic center in colonial Virginia. A series of fires in 1705, 1859, and 1862 damaged parts of the structure but never completely destroyed exterior walls.

When the wing…

HLS-16.jpg
Front elevation of Mt. Airy, the seat of the Tayloe family near Richmond, Virginia, as it looked in the first half of the twentieth-century.

AV-2003-06-62-R.jpg
Recto and verso of postcard illustrated with a photo of the George Wythe House as viewed from Palace Green, Williamsburg, Virginia. Created by the Albertype Co. and published by the Williamsburg Drug Co., the card dates to the early 1930s. It shows…

PSC-017.jpg
Hand-colored lantern slide featuring photo of exterior elevation of William Finnie House, formerly known as Captain Orr's Dwelling, taken by F.S. Lincoln in 1935. It is the seventeenth slide in a set produced by the Pacific Stereopticon Co. of Los…

PSC-009.jpg
Lantern slide featuring a photo of the interior of the Wren Chapel taken by F.S. Lincoln in 1935. It is the ninth slide in a set produced by the Pacific Stereopticon Co. of Los Angeles, California, now defunct, to illustrate the story of Dr. W.A.R.…

AVPC-93-090-R.jpg
Postcard depicting the James Semple House (now known as the William Finnie House), Williamsburg, Va., published by the Albertype Co., Brooklyn, NY.

The caption reads: "James Semple House, Williamsburg, Virginia. A restored house which though built…

AV-2000-02-11-R.jpg
Postcard featuring the front entrance of the Williamsburg Inn, Williamsburg, Virginia, published by Colonial Williamsburg, Inc. and printed by Atelier Graphique, 1955.

The caption reads: "Williamsburg Inn, Williamsburg, Virginia. This structure is…

D2008-COPY-1014-1063.jpg
Proposed addition to the Williamsburg Inn, view from the southeast looking northwest, 1938. This proposed addition was never built. "Abby and John D. Rockefeller, Jr. were involved in every aspect of the design, construction, and furnishing of the…

D2008-COPY-1014-1015.jpg
Exterior of the Coke-Garrett House, view looking northwest, 1933. Once the eighteenth-century residence of silversmith John Coke, the structure later became the home of the Garrett family. The Garretts added the central Greek Revival-style portion to…