Browse Items (47 total)

  • Tags: Cornices

AVPC-093-R.jpg
Recto and verso of postcard featuring photo of the Carter-Saunders House (now known as the Robert Carter House.) Back of card reads: The Carter Saunders House, Williamsburg, Virginia. Erected early in the 18th century, this house was purchased by…

Garr-014A.jpg
Costumed interpreters on the front steps of the Ludwell-Paradise House, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1930's

Garr-017A.jpg
Hand-colored photograph of rear view of the Ballroom Wing of the Governor's Palace, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1930's

Na1733.jpg
Pre-restoration view of the George Jackson House, 135 York Street, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1930's.

HLS-142.jpg
Interior of the Supper Room in the Governor's Palace, Williamsburg, Virginia, 1935. A Chinese wallpaper pattern is visible on the walls, though it has since been removed. Among the room's furnishings, an elegant marble-topped sideboard table…

HLS-139.jpg
Interior of the Governor's Bedroom in the Governor's Palace, view toward the bed, 1935. Interior furnishings and decor reflect curators' views in the 1930s as to how Williamsburg's historic interiors may have looked in the eighteenth century.…

HLS-138.jpg
View of the southeast bedchamber at the Governor's Palace as it appeared in the 1930s. Surviving inventories of colonial governors provided guidance to curatorial staff as they furnished the reconstructed Palace.

HLS-111.jpg
View looking across the Governor's Palace Ballroom towards the door leading into the Supper Room. The pediment exhibits richly carved neo-classical ornamentation and the royal coat of arms of the kingdom of Great Britain.

HLS-89.jpg
Exterior of Market Square Tavern, 1935. A welcoming glow from the windows of Market Square Tavern offered visitors to 1930s Colonial Williamsburg the ambience of stepping back in time. Constructed in 1749 by John Dixon, the tavern was extensively…

HLS-80.jpg
View of the front elevation of the William Finnie House (formerly known as the James Semple House) taken by F.S. Lincoln in 1935. One of the eighty-eight original buildings at Colonial Williamsburg, the Finnie House is named after William Finnie. He…