Browse Items (81 total)

  • Tags: Cupolas

D-3.jpg
Southeast elevation of the Courthouse, circa 1928, as it appeared after restoration in 1911. When a fire gutted the interior in 1911, four columns were installed to support the exterior portico.

Garr-017A.jpg
Hand-colored photograph of rear view of the Ballroom Wing of the Governor's Palace, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1930's

Garr-016A.jpg
Hand-colored photograph of the Governor's Palace viewed from Palace Street, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1930's

Garr-004A.jpg
Hand-colored photograph of the reconstructed colonial Capitol, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1930's

Garr-043.jpg
Northwest elevation of the reconstructed Capitol, 1932.

Na1694.jpg
Firehouse, now demolished and once located on Merchants Square, Williamsburg, Virginia, 1930.

HLS-117.jpg
View looking from the maze across the formal garden towards the Ballroom Wing of the Governor's Palace, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1935.

HLS-115.jpg
Exterior of the Governor's Palace, north facade, viewed from behind the Palace, 1935. In the foreground, standing along the central path of the Palace's formal gardens, are three female costumed interpreters (once called "hostesses"), dressed in…

HLS-108.jpg
View looking through the front gate towards the entrance of the Governor's Palace, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa early 1930s. Taken by contract photographer Frank Nivison to document progress on the reconstruction of the Palace complex, the slide…

HLS-98.jpg
This image of the reconstructed Capitol shows its south and west facades. Rounded apsidal ends derive from Roman basilicas which contained such features in which public magistrates officiated. Completed during the reign of Queen Anne, the original…

HLS-39.jpg
Front elevation of the Wren Building, College of William & Mary, with the Botetourt statue in the foreground, taken by F.S. Lincoln in 1935. Begun in 1695, the construction of the Wren Building marked the birth of an academic center in colonial…

HLS-70.jpg
Hand-colored lantern slide featuring photo of Courthouse of 1770 taken by F.S. Lincoln in 1935. One of the eighty-eight original structures at Colonial Williamsburg, the Courthouse stood on this site from 1770 onwards but underwent a number of minor…

HLS-38.jpg
Exterior view of the Wren Building at the College of William and Mary. Begun in 1695, the construction of the Wren Building marked the birth of an academic center in colonial Virginia. One of the oldest academic structures in the United States, the…

AV-96-36-71-R.jpg
Recto and verso of postcard depicting the rear elevation and ballroom wing of the Governor's Palace as viewed through a pleached arbor in the formal garden. This card is part of a series featuring photos taken by the Albertype Co. of Brooklyn, New…

PSC-039.jpg
Hand-colored lantern slide featuring a photo of the northeast elevation of the Governor's Palace taken by F.S. Lincoln in 1935. It is the thirty-ninth slide in a set produced by the Pacific Stereopticon Co. of Los Angeles, California, now defunct, to…