Browse Items (138 total)

  • Tags: Dormer Windows

Na2375.jpg
Colonial Williamsburg's first interior decorator, Susan Higginson Nash leaning against a fence and talking to unidentified person behind Little England, Gloucester County, Virginia, 1930

HLS-115.jpg
Exterior of the Governor's Palace, north facade, viewed from behind the Palace, 1935. In the foreground, standing along the central path of the Palace's formal gardens, are three female costumed interpreters (once called "hostesses"), dressed in…

HLS-94.jpg
View looking from the garden towards the rear of the Coke-Garrett House. Once the eighteenth-century residence of silversmith John Coke, the house later became the home of the Garrett family in the nineteenth century. The garden features a…

HLS-90.jpg
Rows of tulips line a pathway in a garden behind a house and associated outbuilding in Colonial Williamsburg's Historic Area, circa late 1930s.

HLS-89.jpg
Exterior of Market Square Tavern, 1935. A welcoming glow from the windows of Market Square Tavern offered visitors to 1930s Colonial Williamsburg the ambience of stepping back in time. Constructed in 1749 by John Dixon, the tavern was extensively…

HLS-82.jpg
Exterior of the Raleigh Tavern, view looking northeast from across Duke of Gloucester Street, 1933. The Raleigh Tavern was the frequent scene of both jollity and consequence, and was "....the foremost of Williamsburg's taverns in the eighteenth…

HLS-73.jpg
Exterior view of the Public Gaol and pillory. Opened as an exhibition building in April 1936, the Public Gaol is one of eighty-eight original buildings in the Historic Area that have been restored to their eighteenth-century appearance. Criminals…

HLS-71.jpg
Opened as an exhibition building in April 1936, the Public Gaol is one of eighty-eight original buildings in Colonial Williamsburg's Historic Area that have been restored to their eighteenth-century appearance. The structure included cells for the…

HLS-62.jpg
A popular restaurant for tourists in the 1930s, the Travis House stood for a period of time along Duke of Gloucester Street on the site formerly occupied by the Palace Theater. Its menu featured dishes inspired by colonial recipes. The structure…

HLS-56.jpg
This view looking northeast at the St. George Tucker property shows one of the Historic Area's original eighteenth-century houses, when still occupied by descendants of the original builder. Later additions and outbuildings have been removed and…

HLS-55.jpg
Pre-restoration view of the front elevation of the St. George Tucker property, one of the Historic Area's original eighteenth-century houses, when still occupied by descendants of the original builder. St. George Tucker, a law professor at the…

HLS-49.jpg
Post-restoration view of the William Lightfoot House, once known as the Nightingale House. Yorktown merchant William Lightfoot constructed the dwelling to serve as a town home during visits to Williamsburg to participate in the Governor's Council.…

HLS-45.jpg
Pre-restoration view of the William Lightfoot House, once known as the Nightingale House, 1929. Yorktown merchant William Lightfoot constructed the dwelling to serve as a town home during visits to Williamsburg to participate in the Governor's…

HLS-44.jpg
Post-restoration view of the Bourbon House after being restored to its eighteenth-century appearance and re-named the Christopher Ayscough Shop.

Christopher Ayscough, the namesake of the shop, tried operating a tavern on the site between…

HLS-61.jpg
Hand-colored lantern slide illustrated with a photo of a view looking down Duke of Gloucester Street past the Travis House restaurant. Taken by F.S. Lincoln in 1935, the photo served as one of the earliest promotional images for the newly opened…

HLS-46.jpg
View of the Levingston Kitchen from across Palace Street. Located on the East side of Palace Green, the kitchen is the only structure that remains from a housing complex constructed by William Levingston in the early eighteenth-century. Levingston is…

AV-96-36-71-R.jpg
Recto and verso of postcard depicting the rear elevation and ballroom wing of the Governor's Palace as viewed through a pleached arbor in the formal garden. This card is part of a series featuring photos taken by the Albertype Co. of Brooklyn, New…

PSC-039.jpg
Hand-colored lantern slide featuring a photo of the northeast elevation of the Governor's Palace taken by F.S. Lincoln in 1935. It is the thirty-ninth slide in a set produced by the Pacific Stereopticon Co. of Los Angeles, California, now defunct, to…