Browse Items (159 total)

  • Tags: Duke of Gloucester Street

S554.jpg
Pre-restoration view looking east on Duke of Gloucester Street from College Corner, Williamsburg, Virginia, December 1, 1931. The south block of Merchants Square, a shopping district created for businesses being displaced by Williamsburg's…

S106.jpg
Pre-restoration view of a portion of Duke of Gloucester Street in Williamsburg, Virginia, prior to the removal of the grass median and telephone poles, Dec. 11, 1928.

N6697.jpg
Construction progress on Edinburgh Castle Tavern, originally known as Burdette's Ordinary, Duke of Gloucester Street, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1930s.

N689.jpg
View of south elevation of Casey's Store, located on Duke of Gloucester Street, Williamsburg, Virginia, May 6, 1931, prior to its demolition.

N1742.jpg
Pre-restoration view of the Imperial Theatre on Duke of Gloucester St, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1931. Movie posters advertise "Lasca", "Susan Lenox", "Possessed," and "Personal Maid." Next door stands "The Royal Cafe". Both buildings were…

N371.jpg
Pre-restoration view of the west end of Courthouse Green from the south, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1931. The residences visible in the background are, left to right, the Roscow Cole House and B.D. Peachy House.

N5167.jpg
Pre-restoration view of Duke of Gloucester Street looking east from the Wren Building at the College of William and Mary, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928.

N384.jpg
View of the north elevation of the Cole shop, later named the Maupin Shop, after it was restored and when it was located on Duke of Gloucester Street in Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1931. The attached building to the left is the W. D. Clarke…

N369.jpg
Pre-restoration view of the south elevation of the Courthouse of 1770 located on Duke of Gloucester Street in Williamsburg, Virginia, March 1931. At this point in time, columns and chimneys are still in place on the Courthouse, above ground power…

N312.jpg
Progress photo of Casey's Store under construction, Williamsburg, Virginia, February 16, 1931. Once located on the corner of North Henry and Duke of Gloucester Street, the site is presently occupied by the College of William and Mary Bookstore.

N422.jpg
North elevation of the Williamsburg Drug Company, Williamsburg, Virginia, March 18, 1931. Originally located in the block of Duke of Gloucester Street facing the Courthouse, the structure was demolished during the process of restoring the Market…

N685.jpg
South elevation off Mullen's Store, Williamsburg, Virginia, May 6, 1931. Originally located on Duke of Gloucester Street, this building was destroyed as part of the process of restoring the block to its eighteenth-century appearance.

N151M.jpg
Laborers installing underground wiring along Duke of Gloucester Street in the Merchants Square area, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1932.

N6662.jpg
View of construction progress for the Colonial Parkway tunnel running underneath Duke of Gloucester Street in Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1930s. This view shows the area near the Courthouse of 1770 and Market Square.

N3364.jpg
A pre-restoration view of the Courthouse of 1770 on Duke of Gloucester Street in Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928. The Colonial Hotel is visible beyond it. A cow grazes along the edge of the street.

N146.jpg
A restaurant at the corner of Duke of Gloucester Street and Boundary Street in Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1930. The building housed a soda fountain and luncheonette. Several signs mark the busy intersection, including one for the Pocahontas Tea…

N488.jpg
View of the south elevation of the Martha Washington Coffee Shop on Duke of Gloucester Street in Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1931. Exterior signs identify the building as "Martha Washington Coffee Shop," and "Home of Good Eats. Best Cup of…

N368.jpg
View of the northeast elevation of the Peninsula Bank, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa March 1931. The bank was located at the corner of King Street and the Duke of Gloucester Street and was torn down during the restoration.

N156M.jpg
View looking west on Duke of Gloucester Street in Williamsburg, Virginia, likely taken from the balcony or cupola of the Capitol, shortly before reconstruction of the street and removal of center island, January 15, 1934. The Cary Peyton Armistead…

N235.jpg
Progress photo of the south elevation of the Ludwell-Paradise House under restoration in Williamsburg, Virginia, January 2, 1931.
Output Formats

atom, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2