Browse Items (98 total)

  • Tags: Gates

D-27.jpg
Pre-restoration view of the Tayloe House, formerly known as the Elizabeth Coleman House, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1929.

D-23.jpg
Pre-restoration view of the northwest elevation of The Quarter, formerly known as the Emily Christian House, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1929.

D-20.jpg
Pre-restoration view of the front elevation of the Nelson-Galt House, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928.

Swem-36.jpg
Pre-restoration view of the north façade of the Lightfoot House (formerly the Allen-Byrd House or Coke House), Williamsburg, Virginia.

Garr-016A.jpg
Hand-colored photograph of the Governor's Palace viewed from Palace Street, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1930's

Garr-023B.jpg
Palmer House garden and stable, ca. 1937. At the time this photo was taken, the stable stood on the Palmer property, but was later moved to the Nelson Galt House.

Na385.jpg
Workers uncrate the unicorn statue and prepare to install it at the Governor's Palace front gates, Williamsburg, Virginia, 1933.

Na2375.jpg
Colonial Williamsburg's first interior decorator, Susan Higginson Nash leaning against a fence and talking to unidentified person behind Little England, Gloucester County, Virginia, 1930

HLS-136.jpg
Boxwood hedges and flowering trees accent a walled garden within the grounds of the Governor's Palace, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1930s.

HLS-109.jpg
Overhead view of the Palace Green, looking south from the Governor's Palace, 1935. Palace Street rings the Green. Formal gardens are visible in the forecourt of the Palace, while a carriage drawn by two horses stands outside the front gate. Two male…

HLS-108.jpg
View looking through the front gate towards the entrance of the Governor's Palace, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa early 1930s. Taken by contract photographer Frank Nivison to document progress on the reconstruction of the Palace complex, the slide…

HLS-95.jpg
View of brick path leading towards the Coke-Garrett House, taken by F.S. Lincoln in 1935. Once the eighteenth-century residence of silversmith John Coke, the house later became the home of the Garrett family in the nineteenth century. The garden…

HLS-80.jpg
View of the front elevation of the William Finnie House (formerly known as the James Semple House) taken by F.S. Lincoln in 1935. One of the eighty-eight original buildings at Colonial Williamsburg, the Finnie House is named after William Finnie. He…

HLS-63.jpg
Tulips and boxwood hedges surround a green in an unidentified garden in Colonial Williamsburg's Historic Area.

HLS-55.jpg
Pre-restoration view of the front elevation of the St. George Tucker property, one of the Historic Area's original eighteenth-century houses, when still occupied by descendants of the original builder. St. George Tucker, a law professor at the…

HLS-36.jpg
Roses blooming within a walled garden at an unidentified country house in the village of Westbury-on-Severn, Gloucestershire, England.

HLS-54.jpg
View of the front elevation of the Ludwell-Paradise House as featured on a lantern slide produced by A.D. Handy Co. One of the eighty-eight original eighteenth-century buildings at Colonial Williamsburg, the house played an important role in the…

HLS-141.jpg
View of the east end of the Coke-Garrett House, once known as the Lottie Garrett House. The western portion served as the eighteenth-century residence of silversmith John Coke, while the central Greek Revival style portion was constructed in the…

HLS-30.jpg
A man examines a gate opening onto a brick pathway leading towards a house in Amersham, England.