Browse Items (42 total)

  • Tags: Hitching Posts

Garr-014A.jpg
Costumed interpreters on the front steps of the Ludwell-Paradise House, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1930's

Garr-016A.jpg
Hand-colored photograph of the Governor's Palace viewed from Palace Street, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1930's

HLS-89.jpg
Exterior of Market Square Tavern, 1935. A welcoming glow from the windows of Market Square Tavern offered visitors to 1930s Colonial Williamsburg the ambience of stepping back in time. Constructed in 1749 by John Dixon, the tavern was extensively…

HLS-83.jpg
A carriage passes the southern façade of the Raleigh Tavern as it proceeds along Duke of Gloucester Street, 1935. The tavern's signboard and a fence stand in the foreground, while the front entrance of the building is visible in the background. A…

HLS-82.jpg
Exterior of the Raleigh Tavern, view looking northeast from across Duke of Gloucester Street, 1933. The Raleigh Tavern was the frequent scene of both jollity and consequence, and was "....the foremost of Williamsburg's taverns in the eighteenth…

HLS-62.jpg
A popular restaurant for tourists in the 1930s, the Travis House stood for a period of time along Duke of Gloucester Street on the site formerly occupied by the Palace Theater. Its menu featured dishes inspired by colonial recipes. The structure…

PSC-039.jpg
Hand-colored lantern slide featuring a photo of the northeast elevation of the Governor's Palace taken by F.S. Lincoln in 1935. It is the thirty-ninth slide in a set produced by the Pacific Stereopticon Co. of Los Angeles, California, now defunct, to…

PSC-014.jpg
Hand-colored lantern slide featuring a photo of the entrance of the Ludwell-Paradise House taken by F.S. Lincoln in 1935. It is the fourteenth slide in a set produced by the Pacific Stereopticon Co. of Los Angeles, California, now defunct, to…

D2008-COPY-1014-1059.jpg
Exterior of the St. George Tucker House, viewed from behind the fence of the Roscow-Cole Stable yard across Nicholson Street, 1933. This view of the St. George Tucker property shows the front elevation of one of the Historic Area's original…

D2008-COPY-1014-1054.jpg
Exterior of the Raleigh Tavern, view of the front entrance looking north from across Duke of Gloucester Street, 1933. The tavern's signboard stands in the foreground to the left, while in the background, a gowned female costumed interpreter (once…

D2008-COPY-1014-1052.jpg
Exterior of the Raleigh Tavern, view looking northeast from across Duke of Gloucester Street, 1933. The Raleigh Tavern was the frequent scene of both jollity and consequence, and was "....the foremost of Williamsburg's taverns in the eighteenth…

D2008-COPY-1014-1027.jpg
Exterior of the western Advance Building of the Governor's Palace, 1933.  Reconstructed between March 1932 and April 1934, the western Advance Building likely served varying functions over time.  According to architectural historian Ed Chappel (the…

D2008-COPY-1014-1024.jpg
Exterior of the Governor's Palace, looking out through the front gate at the arrival of a carriage and costumed interpreters, 1933. “The Governor’s Palace was an important element in [Williamsburg’s] great civic design. Sited at the end of a…

D2008-COPY-1014-1022.jpg
Exterior of Governor's Palace, looking to the northeast from the Robert Carter house, 1933. “The Governor’s Palace was an important element in [Williamsburg’s] great civic design. Sited at the end of a broad, imposing green, the governor’s…

D2008-COPY-1014-1003.jpg
Exterior of the John Blair House, viewed from Duke of Gloucester Street, 1933. "The John Blair House and Kitchen on the north side of Duke of Gloucester Street was the home of a prominent family of Virginians. The Reverend James Blair (1655-1743),…

LC360P1.jpg
A popular restaurant for tourists in the 1930s, the Travis House stood for a period of time along Duke of Gloucester Street on the site formerly occupied by the Palace Theater. Its menu featured dishes inspired by colonial recipes. The structure…

LC360P6.jpg
A popular restaurant for tourists in the 1930s, the Travis House served food inspired by colonial recipes. It stood for a period of time along Duke of Gloucester Street on the site formerly occupied by the Palace Theatre (Block 13, Building 23A). …

LC361P1.jpg
Exterior of the Custis Tenement, viewed from the east on Duke of Gloucester Street, 1935. Custis Tenement served as an eighteenth-century rental property. Lot owner John Custis IV leased the house to various Williamsburg residents.

LC363P1.jpg
Exterior of the John Blair House, view from Duke of Gloucester Street, 1935. "The John Blair House and Kitchen on the north side of Duke of Gloucester Street was the home of a prominent family of Virginians. The Reverend James Blair (1655-1743),…