Browse Items (9 total)

  • Tags: Jails

AVPC-589-R.jpg
Recto and verso of postcard with an illustration of costumed interpreters standing in front of the of the Public Gaol, Williamsburg, Virginia. Back of card reads: After 250 years, this "strong sweet Prison" remains grim evidence of crime and…

D-48.jpg
Pre-restoration view of the Public Gaol, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928.

AV-97-05-01-R.jpg
The Public Gaol, Williamsburg, Virginia. Back of card reads: "The Gaol was built, it is believed, soon after 1715. With the removal of the Capitol to Richmond, the old gaol was given to the city of Williamsburg. "Debtors, criminals and…

Garr-019.jpg
Costumed nterpreters stand next to the pillory outside the Public Gaol, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1930's

AV2000-02-077-R.jpg
Recto and verso of postcard featuring a view of the stocks and pillory when they were located outside the Public Gaol. The platform provided a popular photo opportunity for early tourists to Colonial Williamsburg, Now re-located to Market Square, the…

HLS-73.jpg
Exterior view of the Public Gaol and pillory. Opened as an exhibition building in April 1936, the Public Gaol is one of eighty-eight original buildings in the Historic Area that have been restored to their eighteenth-century appearance. Criminals…

HLS-72.jpg
Opened as an exhibition building in April 1936, the Public Gaol is one of eighty-eight original buildings in the Historic Area that have been restored to their eighteenth-century appearance. Criminals ranging from debtors to pirates were confined in…

HLS-71.jpg
Opened as an exhibition building in April 1936, the Public Gaol is one of eighty-eight original buildings in Colonial Williamsburg's Historic Area that have been restored to their eighteenth-century appearance. The structure included cells for the…

LC373P3.jpg
Interior view of the Public Gaol Keeper's Quarters, 1935. Opened as an exhibition building in April 1936,  the Public Gaol is one of the surviving  original buildings restored to its eighteenth-century appearance.  This room served as a place for…