Browse Items (32 total)

  • Tags: Lampposts

HLS-39.jpg
Front elevation of the Wren Building, College of William & Mary, with the Botetourt statue in the foreground, taken by F.S. Lincoln in 1935. Begun in 1695, the construction of the Wren Building marked the birth of an academic center in colonial…

AV-97-05-04-R.jpg
Part of the Albertype Company series, this postcard depicts the John Blair House on Duke of Gloucester Street soon after its restoration to its eighteenth-century appearance.

The card's caption reads: "Throughout the eighteenth century this…

AVPC-004-R.jpg
Recto and verso of official Colonial Williamsburg postcard featuring an illustration of Bruton Parish Church created by Charles H. Overly. The artist worked on a contract basis for Colonial Williamsburg's Products Division and also produced a series…

PSC-024.jpg
Hand-colored lantern slide featuring photo of Courthouse taken by F.S. Lincoln in 1935. It is the twenty-fourth slide in a set produced by the Pacific Stereopticon Co. of Los Angeles, California, now defunct, to illustrate the story of Dr. W.A.R.…

PSC-006.jpg
Lantern slide featuring a hand-colored photograph of the front elevation of the Wren Building on the campus of the College of William & Mary. It is the sixth in a set produced by the Pacific Stereopticon Co. of Los Angeles, California, now defunct,…

D2008-COPY-1014-1065.jpg
Exterior view of the west elevation of the Wren Building at the College of William and Mary, 1933. Begun in 1695, the construction of the Wren Building marked the birth of an academic center in colonial Virginia. One of the oldest academic structures…

D2008-COPY-1014-1042.jpg
Exterior of the Ludwell-Paradise Stable, viewed from Nicholson Street, 1933. A dovecote is visible in the gable-end roof of the stable, with holes for pigeons to roost in (though the holes have recently been covered over). The Cooper's Shop is now…

D2008-COPY-1014-1003.jpg
Exterior of the John Blair House, viewed from Duke of Gloucester Street, 1933. "The John Blair House and Kitchen on the north side of Duke of Gloucester Street was the home of a prominent family of Virginians. The Reverend James Blair (1655-1743),…

LC357P5.jpg
View from Francis Street looking towards the William Finnie House. 1935. One of the eighty-eight original buildings at Colonial Williamsburg, the Finnie House is named after William Finnie. He resided in the home in the 1770s and early 1780s and held…

LC364P5.jpg
Exterior of the Margaret Hunter Shop, once known as Pender's Grocery, as viewed from Duke of Gloucester Street, 1935.  When Colonial Williamsburg first opened as a museum in the 1930s, Duke of Gloucester Street consisted of a combination of…

LC364P6.jpg
Exterior of the Margaret Hunter Shop, once known as Pender's Grocery, looking east down Duke of Gloucester Street, 1935. When Colonial Williamsburg first opened as a museum in the 1930s, Duke of Gloucester Street consisted of a combination of…

LC365P5.jpg
Exterior view of the A & P Store (south side of Merchants Square), from the corner of Duke of Gloucester Street and North Henry Streets, 1935.  The A&P Food Market, which was later converted into the Craft House, stands at the street…

LC365P7.jpg
View of Ayscough Shop and William Finnie House from Francis Street, 1935. The structure to the left is the Ayscough Shop, which housed the Forge and Wheel (a retail establishment) in 1935. The shop sold decorative ironwork, pottery, and other items.…

LC365P11.jpg
View of a lamppost in the Historic Area, possibly along Duke of Gloucester Street near Bruton Parish Church, 1935.

LC367P2.jpg
Exterior of the Nicholas-Tyler Office as viewed from Duke of Gloucester Street, 1935. The north and west facades of the Nicholas-Tyler Office illustrate both the varied use of buildings in Williamsburg's Historic Area, as well as modifications that…

LC368P1.jpg
Exterior of the Brafferton building, College of William and Mary, view from the courtyard, 1935. "At first, the Native American students had a classroom in the Wren Building and lodged elsewhere in the town. The Brafferton was completed for their use…

LC368P2.jpg
Exterior of the Brafferton building, College of William and Mary, view from the courtyard, 1935. "At first, the Native American students had a classroom in the Wren Building and lodged elsewhere in the town. The Brafferton was completed for their use…

LC355P1.jpg
A path leads from the Governor's Palace towards the Robert Carter House overlooking the east side of Palace Green, 1935. One of the original eighty-eight buildings at Colonial Williamsburg, the home served as residence for various members of the…

LC335P1.jpg
View of the exterior of Bruton Parish Church taken by F.S. Lincoln in 1935. A smaller seventeenth-century structure stood on the site from 1683 until 1715, when the larger and more elaborate cruciform-style church replaced it. Located at the edge of…