Browse Items (188 total)

  • Tags: Porches

HLS-52.jpg
Rear elevation of the Custis Tenement, once known as the Maupin House, as it appeared from the west in 1932. Landscape architect Arthur A. Shurcliff designed the formal boxwood garden laid out in parterres between brick pathways and based it upon a…

HLS-43.jpg
Side elevation of the Bourbon House, now known as the Ayscough House, prior to being restored to its eighteenth-century appearance.

Christopher Ayscough, the namesake of the house, tried operating a tavern on the site between 1768-1770. Other…

HLS-141.jpg
View of the east end of the Coke-Garrett House, once known as the Lottie Garrett House. The western portion served as the eighteenth-century residence of silversmith John Coke, while the central Greek Revival style portion was constructed in the…

HLS-69.jpg
Exterior view of the A & P Store (south side of Merchants Square), from the corner of Duke of Gloucester Street and North Henry Streets, 1935. The A&P Food Market, which was later converted into the Craft House, stands at the street corner. Next…

AV-2000-10-05-R.jpg
Exterior of the Coke-Garrett House, view looking northwest. Once the eighteenth-century residence of silversmith John Coke, the structure later became the home of the Garrett family. The Garretts added the central Greek Revival-style portion to the…

AV-99-24-03-R.jpg
Recto and verso of a postcard featuring a pre-restoration photo of the Thomas Everard House when known as the Audrey House, Williamsburg, Virginia.

AV-2000-2-10-R.jpg
Recto and verso of postcard of the William Finnie House, once known as the Peyton Randolph House, published by H.D. Cole, News Dealer.

One of the eighty-eight original buildings at Colonial Williamsburg, the Finnie House is named after William…

D-1D.jpg
Ernest Cumber House prior to its demolition during the restoration of Williamsburg in the 1930s.

D-2B.jpg
Pre-restoration view of the President's House at the College of William and Mary, Williamsburg, Virginia.

D-2D.jpg
Pre- restoration view of front and side elevations of the Taliaferro-Cole House, Williamsburg, Virginia.

D-3.jpg
Southeast elevation of the Courthouse, circa 1928, as it appeared after restoration in 1911. When a fire gutted the interior in 1911, four columns were installed to support the exterior portico.

D-4.jpg
Pre-restoration view of William Finnie House (formerly the James Semple House), Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928.

D-11A.jpg
Pre-restoration view of the north elevation of the Chiswell-Bucktrout House, formerly know as the Major Freeman House, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1929.

D-11B.jpg
Pre-restoration view of the northwest elevation of the George Reid House, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928.

D-14.jpg
Pre-restoration view of the front elevation of the Travis House, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928.

D-15A.jpg
Pre-restoration view of the George Wythe House, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928.

D-16A.jpg
Pre-restoration view from Jamestown Rd. of Brafferton Hall at the College of William & Mary, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928.

D-17B.jpg
Pre-restoration view of the John Saunders House, formerly known as the Rabon House, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928.

D-18A.jpg
Pre-restoration view of Wetherburn's Tavern, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928.

D-19.jpg
Side elevation of the Lucy Lamb Kelly House prior to its demolition to make way for the reconstruction of the George Jackson House, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928.
Output Formats

atom, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2