Browse Items (269 total)

  • Tags: Pre-Restoration

S554.jpg
Pre-restoration view looking east on Duke of Gloucester Street from College Corner, Williamsburg, Virginia, December 1, 1931. The south block of Merchants Square, a shopping district created for businesses being displaced by Williamsburg's…

S106.jpg
Pre-restoration view of a portion of Duke of Gloucester Street in Williamsburg, Virginia, prior to the removal of the grass median and telephone poles, Dec. 11, 1928.

N6493.jpg
Pre-restoration view of the front of the Taliaferro-Cole house on Duke of Gloucester Street in Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1940.

N679.jpg
Pre-restoration view of the front elevation of the Grissell-Hay Lodging House, formerly known as the Van Garrett House, located on Nicholson Street facing the Courthouse Green in Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1930s.

N537.jpg
Wallace shops located on Boundary Street, Williamsburg, Virginia, April 16, 1931., prior to their demolition. A "Corner Billiards" sign and a bus schedule are posted on one of the buildings.

S286.jpg
Pre-restoration view of the overgrown boxwood behind the Everard House in Williamsburg, Virginia, August 25, 1928.

S364.jpg
View looking towards the Williamsburg Train Station at its old location near the intersection of today's England and Lafayette streets in Williamsburg, Virginia, May 1930

S1210.jpg
View of the Virginia Electric & Power Co. (VEPCO) Building, formerly located in Block 20 on the site of what is now the Governor's Palace gardens, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa late 1920s.

N2178.jpg
Pre-restoration view of southwest elevation of Collins Cleaning & Dyeing Co., Williamsburg, Virginia, February 9, 1932. This building was originally located in the area bordered by Lafayette St., N. England St. and Scotland St. near the Governor's…

N580.jpg
View of the front elevation of the B.D. Peachy House located on Courthouse Green in Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928. The house was later relocated in the 1930s as part of the restoration of Courthouse Green to its eighteenth-century appearance.

N1742.jpg
Pre-restoration view of the Imperial Theatre on Duke of Gloucester St, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1931. Movie posters advertise "Lasca", "Susan Lenox", "Possessed," and "Personal Maid." Next door stands "The Royal Cafe". Both buildings were…

N388.jpg
View of the west elevation of the Pocahontas Tea Room, located on Boundary Street, Williamsburg, Virginia, March 13, 1931. This building was later demolished.

N371.jpg
Pre-restoration view of the west end of Courthouse Green from the south, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1931. The residences visible in the background are, left to right, the Roscow Cole House and B.D. Peachy House.

N370.jpg
General view of the east end of Courthouse Green from the south in Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1931. To the right is the Colonial Hotel, on the site of present-day Chownings Tavern. The Colonial Hotel became a Williamsburg Inn annex and was later…

N3917.jpg
View of the Braithwaite service station, site of the current Mary Stith Tin Shop, located off of Duke of Gloucester Street between Botetourt and Colonial Streets, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928.

N445.jpg
View of the north elevation of the Guest House at the Saunders-Dinwiddie House, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928. This structure was demolished during the restoration of Colonial Williamsburg's Historic Area and was part of the property later known…

N5167.jpg
Pre-restoration view of Duke of Gloucester Street looking east from the Wren Building at the College of William and Mary, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928.

N384.jpg
View of the north elevation of the Cole shop, later named the Maupin Shop, after it was restored and when it was located on Duke of Gloucester Street in Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1931. The attached building to the left is the W. D. Clarke…

N369.jpg
Pre-restoration view of the south elevation of the Courthouse of 1770 located on Duke of Gloucester Street in Williamsburg, Virginia, March 1931. At this point in time, columns and chimneys are still in place on the Courthouse, above ground power…

N421.jpg
Pre-restoration view of the east elevation of the Henley House, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928. This structure was demolished during the restoration.
Output Formats

atom, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2