Browse Items (18 total)

  • Tags: Railings

Swem-62.jpg
Pre-restoration view of rear elevation of the Palmer House (previously known as the Kerr or Vest House), Williamsburg, Virginia

HLS-62.jpg
A popular restaurant for tourists in the 1930s, the Travis House stood for a period of time along Duke of Gloucester Street on the site formerly occupied by the Palace Theater. Its menu featured dishes inspired by colonial recipes. The structure…

AV-2015-02-20-R.jpg
Recto and verso of official Colonial Williamsburg postcard featuring a photo of a costumed interpreter pausing just inside the door of the stair passage of the Peyton Randolph House.

The caption reads: "Elegant and spacious, this stair passage,…

PSC-012.jpg
Lantern slide featuring a photo of the exterior of Ayscough Shop taken by F.S. Lincoln. It is the twelfth slide in a set produced by the Pacific Stereopticon Co. of Los Angeles, California, now defunct, to illustrate the story of Dr. W.A.R. Goodwin's…

D2008-COPY-1014-1067.jpg
Exterior view of the entrance to the Great Hall of the Wren Building at the College of William and Mary, 1933. Professors and students gathered in the Great Hall at long tables and benches to dine and converse during the colonial era. The room also…

D2008-COPY-1014-1036.jpg
Exterior view of the Smokehouse, Laundry, Salthouse, and Bagnio outbuildings flanking the Governor's Palace to the west, 1933. In the foreground is the Palace Smokehouse (depicted by a whitewashed wooden structure with a shingled roof), where meat…

D2008-COPY-1014-1001.jpg
View of Ayscough Shop from Francis Street, 1933. The Ayscough Shop once housed the Forge and Wheel, a retail establishment, which sold decorative ironwork, pottery, and other items. Christopher Ayscough, the namesake of the shop, tried operating a…

LC356P3.jpg
Entrance of the Ayscough Shop in 1935, when it housed the Forge and Wheel, a retail establishment. As noted on the sign, the shop sold decorative ironwork, pottery, and other items.

Christopher Ayscough, the namesake of the shop, tried operating…

LC360P1.jpg
A popular restaurant for tourists in the 1930s, the Travis House stood for a period of time along Duke of Gloucester Street on the site formerly occupied by the Palace Theater. Its menu featured dishes inspired by colonial recipes. The structure…

LC360P2.jpg
A popular restaurant for tourists in the 1930s, the Travis House stood for a period of time along Duke of Gloucester Street on the site formerly occupied by the Palace Theatre. Its menu featured dishes inspired by colonial recipes. The structure…

LC360P6.jpg
A popular restaurant for tourists in the 1930s, the Travis House served food inspired by colonial recipes. It stood for a period of time along Duke of Gloucester Street on the site formerly occupied by the Palace Theatre (Block 13, Building 23A). …

LC361P1.jpg
Exterior of the Custis Tenement, viewed from the east on Duke of Gloucester Street, 1935. Custis Tenement served as an eighteenth-century rental property. Lot owner John Custis IV leased the house to various Williamsburg residents.

LC361P2.jpg
Exterior of the Custis Tenement, viewed from the east on Duke of Gloucester Street, 1935. The Custis Tenement served as an eighteenth-century rental property. Lot owner John Custis IV leased the house to various Williamsburg residents.

LC364P1.jpg
When Colonial Williamsburg first opened as a museum in the 1930s, Duke of Gloucester Street consisted of a combination of exhibition buildings and commercial establishments. Several grocers operated small food markets in restored or reconstructed…

LC365P1.jpg
View of Ayscough Shop and William Finnie House, looking south across Francis Street, 1935. The structure to the left is the Ayscough Shop, which housed the Forge and Wheel (a retail establishment) in 1935. The shop sold decorative ironwork, pottery,…

LC446P1.jpg
Exterior of the William Lightfoot House, viewed from Duke of Gloucester Street, 1935. "The William Lightfoot House and Kitchen on the south side of the street belonged to a Yorktown merchant whose business apparently brought him to Williamsburg so…

LC355P3.jpg
Close-up view of the front entrance of the Robert Carter House taken by F.S. Lincoln in 1935. Restoration of the structure between 1931-1932 involved removal of the two story Doric portico added in the nineteenth century. While the hanging pediment…

LC334P6.jpg
View through the front door of the Ludwell-Paradise House of a carriage awaiting a passenger, 1935. The front elevation of the George Reid House is visible across Duke of Gloucester Street.
Output Formats

atom, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2