Browse Items (64 total)

  • Tags: Round-headed Windows

D-46.jpg
Matthew Whaley School, once located on the site of the Governor's Palace in Williamsburg, Virginia, 1928.

D-37.jpg
Pre-restoration view of Bruton Parish Church and its cemetery, Williamsburg, Virginia circa 1928.

D-30.jpg
Pre-restoration view of Bruton Parish Church, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928,

D-17A.jpg
Williamsburg Methodist Church, located on Merchants Square at the corner of Duke of Gloucester and North Boundary streets, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928.

D-10D.jpg
Pre-restoration view of Bruton Parish Church from across Duke of Gloucester Street, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928.

D-3.jpg
Southeast elevation of the Courthouse, circa 1928, as it appeared after restoration in 1911. When a fire gutted the interior in 1911, four columns were installed to support the exterior portico.

HLS-99.jpg
View of the House of Burgesses, Capitol, 1935. Located on the first floor (east wing) of the reconstructed Capitol building of 1705, this room served as a place for members of Virginia's House of Burgesses to assemble to discuss legislative issues.…

HLS-50.jpg
Exterior of the Powder Magazine, viewed from southeast looking toward the building's entrance, 1935. Among Williamsburg's original eighteenth-century buildings, the octagonal Powder Magazine has taken on many different functions over time.…

HLS-70.jpg
Hand-colored lantern slide featuring photo of Courthouse of 1770 taken by F.S. Lincoln in 1935. One of the eighty-eight original structures at Colonial Williamsburg, the Courthouse stood on this site from 1770 onwards but underwent a number of minor…

AVPC-005-R.jpg
Among the official Colonial Williamsburg postcards produced by H.S. Crocker Co., Inc. in the 1950s was a series featuring scenes from the new Visitor's Center orientation film known as "Williamsburg - The Story of a Patriot."

The caption reads:…

AVPC-93-086-R.jpg
Recto and verso of postcard produced by The Albertype Company that features a view looking from the rear balcony down the nave of Bruton Parish Church towards the altar. The sanctuary retains the appearance that resulted from architect J. Stewart…

AVPC-555-R.jpg
Recto and verso of postcard depicting the interior of Bruton Parish Church published by the Albertype Company and distributed by H.D. Cole. View looking from the rear balcony down the nave of Bruton Parish Church towards the altar. The sanctuary…

AV-2003-06-21-R.jpg
Recto and verso of early Divided Back postcard published by Williamsburg resident Henry Dennison Cole and sold at his shop on Duke of Gloucester Street. It features a view of the exterior of Bruton Parish Church from the cemetery. The shutters on…

AV-2003-06-22-R.jpg
Recto and verso of postcard featuring a view of the northwest elevation of Bruton Parish Church and its cemetery. Published by the Albertype Company and sold by H.D. Cole in his shop on Duke of Gloucester Street, it is an example of a souvenir card…

AV-2000-02-62-R.jpg
Recto and verso of postcard published by James E. Abbe that features an exterior view of Bruton Parish Church. The rear of the George Wythe House is visible in the background.

A smaller seventeenth-century structure stood on the site from 1683…

AV-2000-2-63-R.jpg
Recto and verso of official Colonial Williamsburg postcard illustrated with a color image of the southeast exterior elevation of Bruton Parish Church. A portion of the cemetery and churchyard are visible in the foreground.

According to the…

AVPC-004-R.jpg
Recto and verso of official Colonial Williamsburg postcard featuring an illustration of Bruton Parish Church created by Charles H. Overly. The artist worked on a contract basis for Colonial Williamsburg's Products Division and also produced a series…